Author Topic: First Bow  (Read 20734 times)

Bob S.

Re: First Bow
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 06:03:29 pm »
More good info. Thank's. I'm going to cut an ash in the morning that I've had my eye on for a while. It looks good on the outside. We will see. I was going to cut it today, but a friend talked me into arrowhead hunting instead. Beautiful day for it here, 67 and sunny. I almost forgot what that was like.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 11:08:09 pm »
Bob, take some wood glue or shellac or something to seal the ends after you cut it. Cut you logs about a foot longer than you want your bow, and then seal the ends. This will keep checking to a minimum..... Chris

Bob S.

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2007, 11:29:49 pm »
Thank's Chris, I wouldn't have thought to cut the log longer than the length of the bow.

Bob S.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 08:07:14 pm »
Any of you folks make bows from green wood? That section in TBB 1 sparked my interest. It would give me some hands on experience while my ash log is drying. I also have a friend that has had some hickory branches drying in his garage for a few months. I don't know how well they would work, but I may try one of them too. You guys have created a monster - and I can't thank you enough.  ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »
..........................Thats pretty much all I do, make bows from green wood. Reduce them to pretty close to bow dimensions and stop and tie them to a board(2x4) and let them dry out. Taking them down pretty much lets them dry much faster. Leave tips full width so they hopefully dont twist. Good luck............bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2007, 11:07:45 pm »
  I made my first bow,Hickory,from green wood.It was semi dried I believe because I would have to keep taking wood off because it would gain weight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2007, 01:27:00 am »
As long as you don't stress the wood(don't floor tiller past 4") making green bows are less work and will dry quicker but like Bob said strap it down so it won't twist or turn.
On the hickory branches, they should make good bows if wide enough. You will want to figure which it the up side and which is the down side. You want your bow from the up side. That is the tension side. When you cut it in half or shape down the belly she is gonna take some backset. You may want to control how much or it could get out of hand.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Bob S.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 12:05:47 pm »
Thank's guys. I'm going to get started on the green wood bow this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 12:08:13 pm »
Bob, Be sure you seal the back and ends real well. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 08:17:37 pm »
Always thought about gettin a moisture meter but the cost is enough to make me wonder if it is a really nessasary tool anyway. Anybody ever use one? Auggie
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 09:04:44 pm »
  I have one as I think does Pat. I haven't used it in years, Iam more confident in my eyes, when I start to tiller, if it starts to take set I know its still to green and I let it dry out  for more time before I work on it.........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 02:13:50 am »
Like Bob said I have had one for years and never use it. Usually the wood I use is a few years cured anyway but I mainly go by feel and sound...and 20 years experience. ;)   Pat

Bob S.

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 01:08:30 pm »
I went out to the shed to check on my ash log this morning and it was gone. Come to find out my girlfriends son BURNED IT Saturday night. They had a little get together and not realizing what it was, thought it would be a nice addition to the fire. He now knows. From what I've read in TBB 1 I'm not expecting too much out of my first attempt, but it would be nice to be able to at least start one before I lost it. Oh well, I've got lots of trees around here.

Bob S.

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 01:20:50 pm »
Well, I'm going to try it again. I went out this morning and cut another log to dry, one to try my hand at green and dug some leeks for dinner.