Author Topic: How do you water proof raw hide?  (Read 13808 times)

Offline sharpend60

How do you water proof raw hide?
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »
Its all in the title.

I want to make a quiver with some raw hide Ive got but where I live it rains a alot.

Id hate for my quiver to get all slimy and turn to mush...
Any Ideas?

Doesnt have to be totally primitive but does need to be simple and non toxic

Tara

Re: How do you water proof raw hide?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »
Egg  or Brain tan.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:15 pm »
A coating of beeswax is the only thing I know that will work...that's natural and non-toxic.  Of course, you can come up with all sorts of beeswax, pine pitch, and tallow recipes that can be mixed up and applied to the rawhide.

I've tried making a quiver from rawhide and the thing was kinda noisy.  The hide crinkled loudly and also amplified the rattling sound of the arrows within.  I think you would need some pretty thick hide to keep the noise down.

Water doesn't affect rawhide too badly as long as it's not submerged.  It should be fine in the rain for about 15-30 minutes, without waterproofing.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dismount

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:48 am »
An old cherokee dude told me to rub the fruit bud of the prickly pear cactus on the rawhide to make it water resistant. Taking the prickly parts off first. I haven't tried it but thats what he said. In his opinion u can't make rawhide totally waterproof.  Dismount

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »
Parfleches (rawhide boxes) made by the Plains tribes were often waterproofed by rubbing the cut sides of prickly pear cactus leaves on them.  Just split the catcus pads open and wipe them on the rawhide, and let it dry.  Several coatings will improve the water resistance.   Be sure to do both sides of the rawhide.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:57:02 am »
you'd have to be in rain all day to make rawhide really soften up.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:31 pm »
i thought smoking it would water proof it to a certain extent
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:31:02 am »
i thought smoking it would water proof it to a certain extent

not sure,but i think thats for tanned leather not rawhide
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 01:13:43 am »
                                              Smoking Rawhide smell like burning Hair....and don't do a thing for Me............ >:D

All kidding aside...unless You are shooting for a Museum Quality Reproduction Bow....Seal it with Tru Oil...or Polyurethane ...both work great on Rawhides...or go primitive and   Mix up some Beeswax and Lard...and use a Heat Gun to make it Penetrate well...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:23 am »
Smoking does not waterproof, it preserves material and prevents it from returning to its natural state. A tanned hide that has been properly smoked can get wet and will soften up easily when it dries. If it wasn't smoked it would return to rawhhide when it dried . Rawhide itself will benefit from smoke by not rotting and it helps to keep the bugs away but it won't b waterproof. Like I said though it takes a lot of moisture to soften rawhide back up. A good idea may b to make a form that you can slip the quiver over so that when it does get wet it doesn't dry badly and remains it shape. Peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:30:53 pm »
Smoking does not waterproof, it preserves material and prevents it from returning to its natural state. A tanned hide that has been properly smoked can get wet and will soften up easily when it dries. If it wasn't smoked it would return to rawhhide when it dried . Rawhide itself will benefit from smoke by not rotting and it helps to keep the bugs away but it won't b waterproof. Like I said though it takes a lot of moisture to soften rawhide back up. A good idea may b to make a form that you can slip the quiver over so that when it does get wet it doesn't dry badly and remains it shape. Peace

thanx for the facts now i know what it does  ;D
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995