Author Topic: Heat treating wood? A couple of questions.  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Heat treating wood? A couple of questions.
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »
Does anyone have a good method of " toasting" the belly of a bow to increase performance without using a heat gun? I'm interested in trying this and don't know how to do it. Also when do you know when the wood is heated enough?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Heat treating wood? A couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:14:54 pm »
A camp fire  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:22:40 pm »
Camp fires can be used.  The bow should be suspended about 4 feet above a fire and moreso "smoked" for tempering.
Another option for modern tools I've heard used is a blowtorch.  I haven't used it, myself, but I'd figure that it would work fine, just use a low flame and take your time, I suppose. 
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »
Yep. Campfires are my preferred method because they burn nice and even if they are made right. I run the bow back and forth several times a few inches above the highest flames so that it doesn't scorch but does let the wood get nice and hot, so hot to where you eventually have to put it down to cool cause it starts to get too hot to hold. Then after I have heated the entire bow evenly, I run it quickly through direct flame a couple times so that it begins to turn the belly a smoky brown color. You want to do this kind of fast, or else you will burn the belly black. It's best to do it fast, but repeatedly. Watch closely, VERY closely, check the color of the belly after each run-through to ensure you aren't getting it too dark. Once the entire belly has been treated this way, I usually GENTLY flex the bow SLIGHTLY backwards (only an inch or two), so as to induce a slight reflex, let cool and you're done. It's best to wait a couple days to shoot a bow after doing this to it, but I have been known to shoot them the next day with no problems. But I never shoot a bow the same day. It needs to sleep on its new shape and rest back up before you string it.

Alternative methods do exist, and alternative heat sources as well. Such as, stove top burners. Electric ones will work, but most have the coiled ring heating elements that tend to not want to heat evenly (uneven heat patterns appear on your bow) and you can't touch the bow with them or they scorch in a fraction of a second and you get black marks all over your bow. If you are going to use a stovetop, gas burners are best.

Good luck,

CP

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:54:00 pm »
I've done it with decent success over a stove before, both gas and eletric burners.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:26:55 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna try with the campfire. Do treat it after you have finished floor tillering or after you have the bow bending more?

Cacatch

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:28:53 pm »
Yeah, stoves are very convenient, especially in really hot weather or really cold weather. Because in hot weather, you don't care much for building a campfire outside and in really cold weather (single digits or below) even with a fire you stand there and shiver.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »
Does anyone have a good method of " toasting" the belly of a bow to increase performance without using a heat gun? I'm interested in trying this and don't know how to do it. Also when do you know when the wood is heated enough?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
Why don't you want to use a heat gun?

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:36 pm »
To each his own, but I try to do it when I think I have achieved final tiller. It usually will raise your poundage a couple pounds, but most of my bows tend to come out a tad lower than I plan on anyway, so the heat helps me get to where I want to be. It works out anyway, because otherwise with the heat they would end up too heavy, and I hate to have to scrape after heat treating. I like the brown look so I try to make it the last thing I do to the bow. Before light sanding/greasing/finishing of course.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:33 pm »
Adb. I would use one... But I don't have one so I need different ways to do it.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 07:18:45 pm »
I use a hot plate. I do it after I tiller to full draw. It does boost performance and keeps the bow in a "new" state that way. Anyway. I used to do it with a heat gun, but I've come to prefer using a hot plate. It doesn't take as long and it doesn't destroy a heat gun. I prop the bow 1"- 1 1/2" above the coil and monitor it. It works really well and is a piece of cake ;)

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
I use a propane torch, takes a little playing to get it, but it works.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption