Author Topic: Beech  (Read 1552 times)

Offline finnfoto

• Shoot straight and have fun.
    • www.finandfoto.com
Beech
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has ever made  a nice selfbow out of Beech Wood that would be whilling to post a few pic's To help me out as to what the wood looks like when finished and of corse I always love seeing other bows.  ;D  I have a real nice pice I havent started on yet as I have finally gotten my hickory wood out of the way and I picked up a piece of Beech at sawmill. Guy told me it was everybit as hard as hickory maybe a bit harder???? I was as mentioned hopeing to see some others bows built from this wood.

Sam
Sam Wagaman

Offline walkabout

Re: Beech
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »
beech has a specific gravity of about .64, which is actually higher than the specific gravity of vine maple, which is listed as .60. im sure it would make a decent bow. i dont have any experience using it but im sure if you treat it with care it will turn out well. slight overbuilding would help until you figured out what dimensions the wood likes best if you plan on possibly using it alot with successful results from your first. good luck and post what you get out of it, id definitly be interested in seeing how it turns out.