Author Topic: Laminated fir Shafting  (Read 8103 times)

Lanny

Laminated fir Shafting
« on: April 18, 2007, 02:59:21 pm »
Hi all
I've recently decided to start using wood arrows with my recurve and bought a bunch of two layer laminated fir shafts. Has anyone ever worked with laminated shafting before and if so could there be some tricks or insights that I should know about?
I think I know how to go about measuring the arrow spine but regarding the nock feather placement (deciding which side of the arrow to have pointing up) I am completely lost. I read that if you have the nock feather on wrong side of the arrow, the arrow could self destruct when fired. I understand how to determine which side of the arrow to place the nock feather when using conventional wood shafting, but when it comes to a laminated shaft and the different directions of the graining in the two laminations, I am unsure of what to look for. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laminated fir Shafting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:25:20 pm »
To figure which end to put the nock and which to put the point, I was always told to put the nock on the straightest end. If both ends are the same, it shouldn't matter.  I think I would place the arrow so the splice is parrallel to the ground: wood up and wood down and the splice running perpendicular to the string.
   When using solid wood shafts, you want the grain points on the top and bottom of the arrow. Your arrow shouldn't discentergrate no matter which way the arrow is placed on the bow and especially with laminated shafts.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Laminated fir Shafting
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:19:42 pm »
If you use self nocks, you must cut them perpendicular to the glue joint or you could face delamination at the nock.  I noticed on the shafts that Marc StLouis made in his article "How To Make Your Own Laminated Shafts" from spring 2006 issue, his plastic nocks all leave the joint parallel to the string, and self nocks are perpendicular to the string. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah