Author Topic: Yooper Moves To Texas / Dear Diary  (Read 11844 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: Yooper Moves To Texas / Dear Diary
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:31 pm »
Mike ,I know it's been hot in the panhandle,but here in east Texas,I have not been able to tiller a whitewood bow all summer,the humidity rarely gets less than 70%,and thats on those 105 degree days. I did manage one osage bow that's gettin' the tru-oil right now.Just lettin' you know,ya'll are;nt alone buddy.By the way,I liked your diary. ;D     God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:36 pm »
All this time I thought that was part of Canada. >:D

You wantin ta Feud der Cracker........... >:(...Dem shor soundin like Fightin Word der......... >:D

Pete...ya ...you can keep your Humidity....I can barely handle the 120 degree days with 25-40%....let alone 70-80%
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:39 am »
Keep yer shorts on there Mike I knew better just razzin ya a little. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:15 am »
I am glad...cause I didn't want to get in my Shelby..and drive all the way to Georgia...just to have you Whoop My Ass.......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

HatchA

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:07 am »
Bows, flints, primitive lodgings and now geography...  this site is great!  I now have a better understanding of the term "Yooper" so will be able to chuckle away when you guys trade "insults" ;) hehehe

It's raining here with a strong, blustery wind.  Great weather for an open fire :D  none of your "105-125°" here...

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:27 pm »
I am glad...cause I didn't want to get in my Shelby..and drive all the way to Georgia...just to have you Whoop My Ass.......... ;D
Well first I'd try to be diplomatic by offerin ya a beer and talkin about it. If that didn't work I'd have to call Bubba to take care of my light work.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »
                                                                                                              LMAO....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:14 am »
You forgot the entry for August 15th:

No one in Texas knows what lutefisk is. Asked local grocery store aboot getting lutefisk. Guy says he don't sell musical instruments there. And says what's wrong with a guitar anyway? Explained to the guy what lutefisk is, then. Poor guy threw up, dontchyaknow.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:02 am »
Cute...but they don't even know what a Pasty is...Let alone a Cudaghy....Safron Bun...Potato Sausage...Smelt...Smoked Chubs...Potato Soup...hell they never heard of most of what I grew up on....but you can keep the Lutefisk...I can do without the Lye Soaked Fish thats for sure!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 02:13:19 am »
Heck, I don't even know what those things are. I saw smelts here at the store once, though. They sell them as bait to people going up to Lake Powell.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:21 am »
now thats funny! we used to catch them by the 55 gallon barrels when they were Spawning...they come out of Lake Superior to Spawn in the Rivers and Streams...and they come in such numbers...that when standing in the Water...You can feel them pounding into your Legs...just swish your Smelting Net in the Water...and you would come up with 3-5 pounds of the little Sucker....a case or two of Beer was a Necessity...along with an 8 track tape of Credence Clearwater Revival playing in the Pickup on the Quadraphonic 8 Track Tape Deck...and then it takes the rest of the Night and another case or two to clean all the little Suckers....or you can be tough like the Finns back Home...and just smoke em like a Sardine...and eat em all...... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 03:08:40 am »
Mike that talk of smelt brings back soe fond memories
my grandpa would come home withmilk cans filled with them
the entire back of his pick up truk would be filled with mik cans to the point the springs were flat
every can was packed full of smelt
we would spend he next day or so cleaning them'your hands would hurt from the scissors long before you were finished
but well worth every agonizing moment of cleaning was the wonderous reward of eating them (we need a drool smiley )
havent heard of a smelt run in years,i think they may be coming back slightly now
i did see them for sale in the grocery store last year,but a real limited supply and $$$$ for them also

tsalagi next time you see them selling them as bait,buy same and take them home and deep fry them  ;)
fins and all,they were my favorite part.nice and crunchy  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »

Just be sure that they are fresh bait!!  My Buddies Mother came down to the Virgin Islands one time, and went through his freezer, and thawed out some mackerel, and broiled it, and then told him it tasted kinda off.  He told her she just ate his marlin bait, that was preserved with formaldehyde!  :P   Mike, I bet da mighty Mac is a fun drive in a nice wind! :o  I would think there would be some little peaks in the seats of the cars that drove across it! ::) ;D ;D  I know I would be chewing a hole in my truck seat, if that thing was swaying !

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »
Wayne ...the Mac is really fun on a Hot day...on a Motorcycle...because as the Temperature climbs so do the Winds...and the Bridge is made of grating ...not Asphalt or Concrete...so You can feel it swaying...and you can see through all the Waaaaay down to the Water below!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:09 am »
scott are those first 2 "TOTAL"suspension bridges like the Mac?
i was always told(and read in their brochures from the bridge) that the Mac
was the largest total suspension bridge,bu that was 25rys ago that i was there  :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd