Author Topic: Blackberries  (Read 7151 times)

Offline cracker

Re: Blackberries
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »
Cucumbers make some very fine relish.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »
Mike, the elderberry jelly is really good. I just made a batch this weekend, tastes kinda like a cross between blackberry and grape. I saw some kudzu jelly a while back that somebody made. Didn't try any of it, though. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26:39 pm »
Steve...have you ever tried Beets? I hate Beets...but can't get enough of the Jelly
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »
Never tried (or even seen) beet jelly, but I don't care much for beets in general. Like you said, though-sometimes the wierd stuff turns out the best.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:32:59 pm »
Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 medium beets peeled and cut into small pieces shopping list
1/2 cup lemon juice shopping list
1 package sure jell shopping list
6 cups sugar shopping list
How to make it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wash beets then peel and cut into small pieces.
Grind and cover with water.
Cook until tender then strain through a jelly cloth.
Add lemon juice and sure jell then stir until dissolved.
Put over high heat and stir until mixture boils hard.
At once stir in 6 cups sugar and bring to a full rolling boil then boil hard for 1 minute.
Remove from heat then skim off foam and pour into glass jars.
Process in water bath for 20 minutes.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 11:42:49 pm »
I wonder what part of the kudzu was used for the jelly?  I read you can make mashed potato like meal with the roots...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:38 am »
My wife also canned quite a few pints of Oregon Grape jelly. We picked those right in downtown here. No one picks these. They think those are poisonous, too. We look to be getting a decent harvest of crabapples and Cortland apples, too. All free.
Living a dream...

Offline Postman

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:07 am »
don't can as much as i used too, but do a hot pickle giardinere with peppers, hot peppers, carrots, onions,garlic  and cauliflower every year. Just blanch the carrots and cauliflower, and use 50-50 vinegar and water with a level tablespoon of pickling salt per pint, boil for 15 min, (25 per quart)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline red pony

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »
This year the black berries have been great in up state NY where I hunt.  I think they had   more rain there then I did where I live east of NYC.  Made some peach and black berry ambrosia with those super sweet black berries. 3 table spoons honey, 11/2 tbs fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, 2 very ripe peaches, 1 pint or more of black berries.  chilled bottle of asti spumante .  Combine honey and lemon juice, warm over low heat or until honey melts.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.  let cool for 5 minutes.  Slice peaches and add blk berries pour over fruit and put into desert dishes and chill for about a hour.  Just before serving, pour 1/3 cup of asti spumante into each dish.   ENJOY!!!!    PS You can omit the wine if you like and add a rasberry sorbet . 

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »
14 qts of peaches, 17 pints of blueberry jam, 6 pints elderberry jam my favorite, 7 qts of salsa, 7 pints of tomatoes, 7 qrts of tomatoes, 6 quarts of pears so far, 4quarts of corn, still wana do more pears , 14 pints of applesauce, not to mention the frozen goods. takin a break from cannin now and puttin up acorn flour. 4 quarts of it done . like to put up about 10lbs of acorn flour, then start canning again. wapato is comin in soon too so im gonna have to hit the water and can up posiedens potatoes!! =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct