Author Topic: short red oak bow  (Read 10424 times)

JamesCarpenter

short red oak bow
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:13:35 pm »
I am working on a 48" (46.5" ntn) red oak bow. The limbs are 2" wide at mid limb tapering to .75" nocks. I have steam bent the last 4 inches into a reflex. I also plan to sinew back the bow.

I would like to get at least a 24" draw... Is this possible with such a short bow?
How far should i tiller the bow before adding the sinew backing? Right now it pulls about 55 lbs just to get to brace height at 5" on the tillering board and that is as far as i've taken it.

I really need some input so that I don't end up making more firewood.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: short red oak bow
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:27:30 pm »
James I always sinew right after I get it to brace,some folks get it out to 12/15 in and one of my friends don't want to bend them at all,I don't know witch is best.Maybe some of the more experienced guy with sinewing will chime in.I ant much help am I.  ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:11:18 pm »
I have only sinewed a few bows so take it for what it is worth...I waited until tillered before adding sinew. BUT! with a relatively weak wood like red oak, I would go ahead and sinew it now and see if the sinew won't help protect the belly. 24" pull on a 48" red oak bow is pushing it a bit. If it were osage or hickory there would be no problem with a sinew backing. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:07:09 pm »
What couple or three bows that I've sinew backed, I've done at the floor-tillered stage.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:43:50 pm »
i floor tiller them first . dont get to heavy with the sinew either. with 2" wide limbs there wont be much wood left on a 48" bow. i did a 48" hickory bow that was 2" wide and was wondering if i was gonna end up with a sinew bow by the time i hit 25"  . however ive never used red oak so dont know how it will turn out. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:24:13 pm »
  I floor tiller them also.I've never used oak for a bow. With 2" limbs like Jaime said I wouldn't use alot either.I would concentrate it down the center and then thinner towards the edge.I made a 40" bow ,50#,@ 28" out of mulberry.It had 1 1/2" limbs at the handle and tapered to the points.I put 3 layers of leg tendons on.I let everybody and anybody pull it.I think it was indestructable.But it was more sinew than wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JamesCarpenter

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:01:35 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I took your advise and spent many hours today pounding and cleaning sinew.

I was getting worried because at mid limb the thickness is only around .25 inch. I'm beginning to think it'll be a sinew bow with a red oak belly. ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:27:55 am »
That's the problem,that wide and that short.I make some hickory bows 60 in long and 2 in. to mid limb then tapper to the tips and they get pretty thin to make a bow in the low 50's and that
is without sinew.I never measure the thickness just work it out while tillering but I know they get thin.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good