Author Topic: early results of knapping  (Read 13261 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
early results of knapping
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:59:24 pm »
Hi all,    I just started knapping in the last couple of months, but thought I'd show off some of my results.  You'll just have to imagine the ( very large) pile of discards.  The knife is 6 inches overall.  All of the points are kind of chunky and not quite symmetrical, but hey, they're pretty good for a beginner.   Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: early results of knapping
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »
Good work Ron.  I think you have done an amazing job. I have been knapping for a while and my points don't look much better.   Keep up the practice.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 05:08:41 pm »
Yep Ron - you've been infected with the illness, some people have been know to get over it - but others are incurrable ;D. Looks like you got it goin on, ain't it fun to just sit around and punch out points?

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

MattE

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »
 You are well on your way to making great heads. You will get to a point that you think you will never get any better but you can be rest assured you will. You have done very well for the short length of time you have been at it.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:33:13 pm »
excellent especially for only just startin

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:57:03 pm »
Thanks to all, for the kind words.  Who would have thought that banging on rocks would be so addictive?     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »
  It look's like you are on your way to a big problem.Welcome to the club. ;D nice points,heh,heh, It's only the Gateway addiction to more problems. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

thearcher

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:12:29 pm »
Looks good you also can work with glass or johnstone it is a little easier ti knap and refine your techniques on.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:16:20 pm »
  Johnstone is some frustrating stuff compared to glass and obsidean.If you have plenty of obsidean I'd practice on that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?