Author Topic: rawhide backing  (Read 5497 times)

impala

rawhide backing
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:24 pm »
hello, folks.  Novice bowyer but experienced woodworker.  My first bow is a hickory flat bow for my 8 year old son... I want to back it with rawhide for protection, but am wondering how many pounds that typically adds to the draw... for that matter, does any natural substance other than sinew add to draw weight?  Also, how tight should the string be when it is strung?  I've read the first volume of the Bowyer's Bible but am unsure as to the answer.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:22:38 pm »
Rawhide would add very little, if any, draw weight. Sinew and wood backings like hickory or bamboo will add a good bit of weight. As for tightness, most people probably string the bow so that the string is about 5-6 inches from the handle at brace. Brace height isn't carved in stone, you may have to adjust it up and down a little bit until the bow shoots like you want it to. Too low can make arrows fly left and the string will eat your arm up, but gives a bit more arrow speed. Higher brace height can stress the bow badly and slow the arrow down, but is more stable and forgiving. You just have to play with it til you find the best compromise.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: rawhide backing
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:12:31 am »
What hillbilly said.Save me some typing. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good