Author Topic: Trying to make the best of mistakes.  (Read 2276 times)

Offline bowmo

Trying to make the best of mistakes.
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »
So I went to the Flint Ridge knap-in a few weeks ago and me and the little lady went into town to go get ice for the cooler. True to my usual style I locked us out of my car at a gas station in a town I didn't even know the name of with no cellphones (they were in the car, haha). So after the generosity of a stranger we had a locksmith of the way but also had a 40 min wait till he got there. True to style again, I decided to make the best of it and we climbed under a near by bridge to look for rock. Found a couple chunks of decent upper mercer flint and banged out a biface with a random hammer stone I picked up. Finished the biface up into this little knife when I got back home, think I'll give to my girl for putting up with all my rock breaking, car locking shenanigans.

Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

JustinNC

Re: Trying to make the best of mistakes.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:05 pm »
nice looking knife...wish finding rock around here was that easy, I may be more inclinded to bang rocks if they were!

Offline bowmo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »
haha...well theres none in northern IL. either. I had drive 8 hours to get to those rocks!

Offline arappaho

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:05 pm »
Truth be told, you did a great job with that bridgestone. ;)

Man, I hate when I lock myself out of the car!
Been a while now, knock on wood.

Joe

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:17 am »
nice knife!
 locking myself out is a phobia of sorts for me, i check and double check every time i get out of my truck.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:14 am »
i never lock my self out
only in  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:24 am »
Nice points for just finding the stuff lying around. Bummer about locking yourself out. My lady wouldn't let me forget about something like that for a long time.

I'm a big fan of magnetic key boxes.  I went to collect rock at the mother of all rhyolite spots and about the time I let go of the door handle, I saw the keys in the ignition and realized the door was locked. >:(    I had a bag phone at the time which was staring back at me, useless on the floorboards.  I seemed to remember sticking a key box under the vehicle and found it in about 3 minutes.  Back inside to get the keys, No problem.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:00:47 am »
Hey, I had a spare key...in the tent back at the Flint Ridge camp grounds...

haha

Offline bowmo

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:04:39 am »
oh! and Jessie, it was never a phobia before but it sure is now! I had never done that one before...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:50:46 am »
Nice stuff, I only locked myself out once.  Put the keys down in the trunk on a fly fishing trip in the sticks in Michigan.  I was getting all my gear out and more focused on my "stuff" than the keys.  Had to wait over 2 hours for the locksmith.  My buddy got to fish while I sat and waited on the dirt trail.  I felt like quite the numbnut!
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »

Nice points!  8)  I always keep a spare key in my wallet. ;)  One for the house also.  Buuuuuttt......Years ago, I was sitting in my old truck at the bank parking lot, getting checks in order, and got out and locked the door, only to see my keys on the center console,  :o but not to worry ;)......I have a spare in my wallet ;).......which is sitting on the console next to the keys ::) ;D.......Had to get my dad to bring another spare from my bedroom.  So I always try to make sure that I at least have my wallet with me. ;)

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 06:57:19 am »
nice knife.

tie a spare key under the car somewhere. i zip tie a key to the underside of mine. it has saved me heartache quite a few times.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:03 am »
cool knife

i too zip tie mine under my truck had some of those magnetic boxes and they allways fell off i cant count how many of them things i see laying on the road around here
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:36:07 pm »
ok so lets say yo have a spare key zip tied under your vehicle
your at the beach,swimming and catching some sun.
ahhhh a beautiful day.
oh crap your late meeting the wife and you rush back to the car
only to find out  you lockedx your keys in,damn
oh ya thats right i have a spare key under my car held there with a plastic tie strap
well thats great news i do have spare,but shit what do i use to cut the tie strap
my pocket knife is laying on the center console right next to my keys and cell phone.

ive seen alot of people hide keys under their vehicle, over the years of working in garrages
i still think the best way is keyless entry keypad  ;)
yes i know not all cars have them,but any car that has a FOB for the door locks can have an after markey one installed
for other cars i recomend a piece of "industrial grade" duct tape.clean a portion of the under/back side of either bumper
put the key on the sticky side of the tape,the press the tape onto the cleaned area of the backside of the bumper ;)
no need to worry about how ya gona cut that damned tie strap this way
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd