Author Topic: Persimmon sap balls good for anything?  (Read 4500 times)

Cacatch

Persimmon sap balls good for anything?
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:17 am »
I found a persimmon tree yesterday with a bunch of quarter-sized balls of sap stuck to the bark. They weren't really sticky, and softened up once I started pinching and prying them to get them off. I thought I had found a good alternative source for pitch, but then I took them home and tried to melt them and they would not melt! They just pop and crackle and wiggle in the pan as the heat caused them to expand and contract but they never melted at all. They did get a little softer though.

Anyone know if these are good for anything? They look very pretty, different shades of amber. At first glance you'd think you had found top quality tree-sap for pitch making, but they would not melt at all.

Thanks,
CP

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Persimmon sap balls good for anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:09 pm »
 Maybe chewing gum? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:02 am »
Ya beat Me to it Eddie!! I used to take the Sap Balls off of our Plum Trees and Chew on them all the time when I was a Kid
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:10 am »
Try dissolving it in alcohol. If it will dissolve you can strain it and make varnish with it. If it is still sticky it will probably still be sticky after the alcohol evaporates. Try it of a test piece.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 12:23:54 am »
Wasn't persimmon sap the stuff Possible Possum was always talking about?
Living a dream...