Author Topic: Bamboo backed Yew bow w/pics  (Read 29666 times)

Offline Gordon

Bamboo backed Yew bow w/pics
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »
A year ago a friend, Terry, gave me set of sister yew billets.  Even though I had had no experience working with yew I could see that the wood was top rate – high ring count, thin sapwood, and clean. Unfortunately, the billets were cut such that the surface that would form the bow’s back was angled sharply. Over the course of several months I came back to the billets frequently trying to figure out how I could get a self-bow out of them – but I just couldn’t see a way. Recently Terry inquired how I was coming along with the billets. I was a little embarrassed to admit that crafting a bow out of the fabulous wood he gave me had eluded me. I explained why and added that perhaps a more experienced bowyer could accomplish it, but that I would need to back the wood in order to be successful. Terry then graciously offered me a bamboo slat for the job.

I had never made a bamboo backed bow before (or, for that matter, a laminated bow) so I read everything on the process that I could get my hands on. I also ordered Dean Torges’ video and found it quite helpful. Despite my research there were some surprises. Before the glue-up I floor tillered the bow to about 70# which gave me a limb thickness of about 1” at the fades. When I took the bow out of the form it was about as flexible as an iron frying pan. By the time I had finished tillering the bow the thickness of the yew at the fades had been reduced from 1” to ½”. The amount of strength that bamboo adds is simply amazing! I am also pleasantly surprised how snappy the bow is. It seems just as powerful as my glass longbow which has the same weight rating. Did I mention that bamboo is amazing stuff?

I should also mention the reason for the thread wrappings on the limbs. During tillering a fret developed on the upper limb at a knot that passed through the belly. I used a technique I learned from John Strunk where he laminates a patch of raw hide over the belly area that is fretting and then wraps the whole works with thread. I did the same and it seems to have worked perfectly.

Here are the bow’s specifications. Yew backed with bamboo, 65” ntn, 55# @ 27”,  1 ¼” wide at the fades tapering to ½” at the tips, tips are black water buffalo horn. The handle is elk hide dyed with a combination of red and brown leather dye and a Strunk style handle lacing. The bow is finished with 9 coats of Tru-Oil. The bow holds 2” of reflex even after shooting – did I mention that bamboo is amazing stuff?  ;D

I hope you enjoy the bow.

Gordon

duffontap

Re: Bamboo backed Yew bow w/pics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:55:26 pm »
Nice work Gordon.  It's good to see you were able to leave some sapwood on there.  John has had great luck with that combo. 

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »
Gordon that bow is amazing.That sucker not only looks like a missile launcher but is one good looking bow too.I love the zip that bamboo give's a bow also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:17:28 pm »
Really nice work Gordon, man I enjoy seeing your bows.
VB

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:59 pm »
 Outstanding!  I have some yew slats and am planning on doin the same. Can't wait to see what kind of speed I'll get out of this combination. Congratulations Gordon on a beautiful BBY.
Justin Blunt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:49:02 pm »
Wow Gordon, that is a real beauty.  I love the way you angle your overlays from back to belly.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:21:25 am »
Beautiful Bow Gordon. You did very well for your first yew, boo and lam bow all in one...and did you mention how amazing the boo is!!! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:22:16 am »
Beauty Gordon! I knew you would be having fun on this bow ;) Bet we see you making a few more of these ;D

Rich-serious bamboo poacher :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39:02 am »
Seems every bow you have been doing is a winner gordon, this one is a beaut, I wouldnt be surprised if it outshoots your glass bow. Steve

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 02:34:30 am »
great looking bow Gordon. does it shoot as good as it looks? glad to see you got a new hat...LOL hope to see you at western states.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 02:56:02 am »
Hey, what's wrong with my other hat!  :o It shoots great - seems like it is as fast as my glass longbow. Where is Western States this year?

Rich, you're correct, I will make a few more Boo backed bows. I have a load of bamboo slats on order and some lemonwood boards that are just itching to be bows.

JD, I understand now why John fancies this combination.

Thank you all for the compliments.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 02:59:51 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline heavybow

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 03:26:41 am »
Gordon nice bow marlon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:32 am »
Simply stunning Gordon anyone would love to own such a finely crafted bow.

Hope you don't mind a question Gordon.
Your tiller looks to be dead on for an elliptical tiller.
I'm wonderin why it doesn't bend more into the handle area, more of a full arc. Is this because it was spliced billets?
I'm just trying to learn and perhaps improve my own skills a little.
Thanks in advance Gordon

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 07:22:50 am »
Beautiful job Gordon. I also think any combo with boo backing is a good combo. "Bamboo is great isn't it".  Looks great and the tip treatment is a plus. I like the stain and I am always experimenting with it. Sure would like to see it in the flesh so to speak.   ;D

Dick Bernier

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 10:00:42 am »
Dana,

The handle is spliced and I used a stiff handle design for this bow.

Gordon
Gordon