Author Topic: is flint knapping a difficult skill?  (Read 8071 times)

Offline blades7558

Re: is flint knapping a difficult skill?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:12 pm »
thanks everyone, it seems as though flintknapping is a patience thing, i know i have at least a little bit from making bows and my friend tells me im a saint and wonders why i don't flip out sometimes  ;D i like the idea of it being rewarding and i figured as much. i looked on ebay and found a few sellers of rock that are pretty cheap. i plan on buying the starter kit from 3 rivers and expanding from there. oh and bob im right there with ya on the dial up thing. i use my friend for videos
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:08:52 pm »
It is a relaxing hobby, all you do is sit there and beat on a rock.  You can pick up the basics in an afternoon, it will take a dump truck load of rock to be able to make points like you want.  Don't buy the expensive rock when you are just starting, bulk is better.  You will break a lot of points that are 2/3 to 3/4 finished, don't get frustrated, it happened, and happens still, to all of us.  You can make a useable hunting point from a flake after one or two sessions, it will not be as pretty as some of the ones shown here, but it will work quite nicely.  Post here with questions, there are a lot of very good knappers and there are some that are just starting and a whole bunch that are in between, somebody will be able to help.  Bill

Offline oogabogachiefwalkingdeer

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »
If you get someone to help you one on one you can make points that are kind of crude the same day. Patience will help and you have that from your bow making. I really is not hard once you figure out some angles and stokes. Perfection on the other hand  can be most difficult. Mike Smyth

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 12:56:19 pm »
Just grab a rock and knock everything off that don't look like an arrowhead ;D It can be as simple or complicated as you want ,good hand -eye coordination and the desire to keep at it .And  a lot of flakes
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:01 am »
like they said, it can be fairly easy to knock out ugly, sharp tools, or it can be an art form to make the beautiful blades and points that some of these guys make.
lets just shoot it