Author Topic: another tri-lam...(with fulldraw pics)  (Read 13078 times)

Offline bowmo

Re: another tri-lam...(pics)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 01:50:54 pm »
Thanks.

Ya, I got this strip of padauk from a guy at MOJAM last year and was quickly told by guys like JD Jones that padauk is garbage for a core wood and frets and breaks easily when used that way. It does work well as a center lam like this, but this one is about twice as thick as I probably should have made it. I kind of just keep waiting for it to start to self destruct. It is a beautiful wood though, and if it holds up in this set up I think it's a good testament to how it can work well as a center lam.

Dan

Offline Jbell

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 11:30:24 pm »
Sure is a beauty Dan. I have one question about tri-lams, is it for appearance or performance? My guess is if you use a lighter weight wood for center lam you drop weight for better performance, is that right?
Justin Blunt

Offline bowmo

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:56 am »
Thanks.
It can be both. I tend to do it for looks, but if you used a lam of something like yew inbetween a bamboo back and an osage belly it might lighten up the fished bow a bit and up the cast a tad. Also, it lets me get away with using the thin slats I have that couldn't make a high weight bow on their own...

dan

Offline mamba

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:42 pm »
Dan Da Man - - Su - w -eeeeeeeet !,sorry to many blues tonight.
Ray/NY

Offline bowmo

Re: another tri-lam...(with fulldraw pics)
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 04:32:23 pm »
 ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tarsus

Re: another tri-lam...(with fulldraw pics)
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 05:54:36 pm »
Very nice Bowmo!!!  Keep up the good work.   ;D    David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky