Author Topic: wisconsin rocks  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Jay

wisconsin rocks
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »
I am new to knaping and would like to ue local materials. I'm in SE Wisconsin and have acces to plenty of farm fields. What type of rocks sould i be looking for for knapping?
Thanks
Jay

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: wisconsin rocks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
I'm in North Chicagoland, and I don't believe there are any rocks in this immediate area....where are you in SE Wisconisin?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Jay

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »
I'm west of Milwaukee. The arrow head hunters occasionally find them in the fields around here. I've only found one. Every rock I try just too soft and crumbles or does not knapp.  I'm not a geologest so I need some pics or visual clues. I wonder if the "locals" heat treated there rocks around here?

I need to do some more research.
Jay 

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:35 am »
Go to Hixton and find farm fields you can walk along the edge of where the farmers throw the rocks they plow up. Look up what Hixon looks like on google as thats the name of the stone as well as the area it's found. There is some chert around here, sorta. Haha. I found some today at Starved Rock. But it's not very common. We aren't very lucky in that regard around here.

dan

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:07 am »
Thanks Dan,
Looks like Hixton , Land of the silver mound, is on my way to Bayfield county. :) My friend has a spot up there.
I have Wisconsin wild turkey wing in the freezer I would trade for a sample of Hixon. It would help in identifying more, If  your interested let me know..If not No big deal. Thanks for the info!!!
Jay

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:30:36 am »
After searching for Hixton, Woody Blackwell showed a few points and he described the rock as "one of the scarcest and most sought after materials in the US."  he also said it was challenging.  Anyone else have any experience with it?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »
I've only ever had a couple flakes from a buddy that lives in Wisconsin that also knaps. Interesting material, real grainy. But its flakes well and is really sharp.

Here's a few points I made from the stuff. Comes in different colors though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jay

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »
Very cool!!

You would think the native people around Milwaukee had to use somthing from this area.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:31 pm »
They just had to trade for it. Same with the people that lived in my area. Rock was like money.