Author Topic: "close" encounter  (Read 1987 times)

Offline paulc

"close" encounter
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »
Took this morning off to chase deer and hogs on Fort Stewart again.  Did not see anything, but on the way out I did get to see a diamondback as it ducked into a culvert under the road.  So that was cool, I would not have tried to collect him, I just like seeing 'em.  So anyway, on my walk out I pass a bowl about the size of a basketball court, maybe a bit bigger.  I hadn't ever checked it out before so I take a detour and begin to walk the edge.  It clearly should have water in it as there are lily pads scattered through it,carpeted with some kind of aquatic grass and a 6" weep running through the middle, on the far side maybe 6 or 12 bathtub or two bathtub sized puddles and a lot of mud.  So along the edge there is a lot of hog sign where they have been rooting in the mud, and the sign increases as I get closer to the end.  I come across one of the puddles and the water is clear so I can see the bottom.  The next puddle is cloudy!!  The hogs had been there this morning and I missed them.  I walk some more and see some belly drags in the mud but no clear footprints.  And I start hearing the strangest frog chirp...one I have heard before but can't remember what it is.  So I keep exploring and I hear some more strange frog chirp and more belly drags and I start to think "that is not a frog chirp"  I know I should have a bad association with the chirping but I can't place it and then it dawns on me...baby alligators.  And sure enough just peaking out from some of the weeds along the edge of a puddle I can see half a dozen baby gators calling for their mom to come protect them.  I took two more steps and saw a fresh belly drag that was a solid 12" wide with a back foot print that was probably 4" across and 7" long...I put an arrow back on the string just so I could at least go out with a fight.  And then I carefully got out of there.

What a great way to end the morning!  Paulc

Cacatch

Re: "close" encounter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:46:57 pm »
Sweeeeeeeeet! You're right, this is a truly awesome way to end the morning. And even more so by the fact that you got out WITHOUT having to duel with mommy. 

CP

JustinNC

Re: "close" encounter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »
gator skinned backed bow....that would have been interesting to see