Author Topic: Spral wrapping fletch?  (Read 21858 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Spral wrapping fletch?
« on: July 14, 2006, 04:30:05 pm »
Ok, I just glued on my fletches but want to spiral fletch them also since I always seem to have my fletching come up eventually. I know you have to wrap the shaft at the front of the feathers and tie off somehow. But how does one continue up through the fletches spiraling from the wrap up to the base of the feather and finaly tie off?

Thanks for the help!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Spral wrapping fletch?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:31:29 pm »
I nip the feathers for about an 1/8 in at the rear. II start the wrap there (tie it off with a couple of 1/2 hitches) winding through all 3 trying to keep the intervals the same. Finish the bottom with a couple off half hitches too. Be sure you've skived the leading edge of the feathers. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

toddhill

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:11 pm »
Rod, you sent me a pic once of yourself at full draw with a very neatly spiral fletched arrow at the nock.  If you still have it, maybe you could post that for a good visual.  It had white fletching.  Todd

Rod

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 10:55:47 pm »
Not sure which one you mean Todd. The neatest one I have a picture of is a Standard Arrow by Carol Edwards. She is neater than me at spiral binding, which is not surprising since she is a professional fletcher, but mine are more durable because I use a less breakable thread.
Rod.

[attachment deleted by admin]

toddhill

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 02:24:10 am »
Great pic.  That is some neat work.  Todd

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:28:46 am »
Ok now I need to know what type and thickness of thread I should be using. Help! The ones I'm trying to do right now are not coming out right.

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Rod

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:54:25 am »
A thin fly tying silk if you can get it, is the right thckness. The thicker the thread the more likely it is to keep the fletches open.
Rod.

MattE

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 09:36:23 am »
Get you some artificial sinew and pull the strands apart to get a small diameter piece.Works like a charm!:)

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 05:30:31 pm »
Thanks guys I will give it a go!

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:18:45 am »
As a fly tyer as well as a bowyer type, I have tons of different threads.  I also make fly rods and they too have their own unique thread types for wrapping the guides to the rod etc...  I have used different threads such as flat waxed, Kevlar, monobond etc...and even wire!  What I've found is that after a few dozen rounds of shots, they all either frayed of broke outright.  My next step in remedy was to use 'hard as nails' acrylic and coat the thread wraps...what a mess and there were still issues.  I have also used fly rod thread wrap epoxy...worked okay but on a missed shot I damaged a fletch and you can imagine what a mess it was trying to get the fletch, thread and epoxy off...yeah, time for Mr. 40 grit sand belt...not pretty.  My last attempt was using Dacron B-50 bow string material...now that worked but was too 'clumpy' and I didn't like the 'heavy' look of the stuff.  In my most recent attempt, I remember how I've marveled at the strength and toughness of sinew, so I used it to wrap my last three arrows.  I dyed the sinew purple and love the look of them.  I shot the arrows a bunch last night (even the the sinew hasn't completely cured) and they are holding great!  I hope this is the key and will let you know how they do.  Cheers, Primitive1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Rod

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:36:51 pm »
I wouldn't use real sinew on account of it being too hard to come by over here. I had a big roll of synthetic sinew for ages that I bought from Tandy out of curiosity and could not find a use for it.
This stuff seems to be made up of 3 threads and so will split easily into thirds, but not any finer, leastways not easily or cleanly.
Rod.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 03:35:30 pm »
There must be a secret knot that arrow makers used in the past to keep the thread from comming undone. I tried the half hitch and I had the same problem as primitive1 did. I also remember there was a methog of puttin a loop down on the dowel and wrapping up to it then feeding the spool of thread through the loop, grabbing the loos end on the opposit side and pulling the thread under the wraps. then spiralliing up the feathers and doing something simmilar at the other end. Anyone heard of this?

Rod

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 07:41:03 pm »
Do it exactly the same as you would start and finish a serving. Your guess is about right, apart from including the spool in the finishing part.
Rod.

MattE

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 04:38:37 pm »
D-Tiller, using a loop of thread to pull the end of your serving under the serving is one way but you can make a loop at the end of your serving and serve through it,I like at least ten times around, lay the end of your thread tight againest the shaft and wind the big loop over it when all ten of the wraps have disappeared pull the end of your serving hard and you have it completed. It will not come undone but for looks, cover it with laquer or a finish of your choice, providing it is compatible with the material.

Evil Dog

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 01:17:15 am »
This is my first attempt at spiral wrapping.  Used 30# artificial sinew split in half.... obviously need to find something thinner and with more of a contrasting color.

I'm thinking maybe embroidery floss or the like.  Will have to take a trip down to the local Wally World and see if there is anything looks suitable.