Author Topic: Spral wrapping fletch?  (Read 21859 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Spral wrapping fletch?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:05 pm »
I'm having a **** of a time finding the right matierial to use for wrapping the fletch. The silk thread is not strong enough which fly tiers use. So I will look at other alternatives. The thread would keep on breaking!

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 09:14:53 pm »
I bought silk thread from 3Rivers and use it on my arrows and other applications. It's stronger than silk sewing thread and rod wrapping thread.  I like red but they have  black, blue and other colors.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 11:09:47 am »
i love silk also.  look for Size E Gudebrod silk.  ebay has a ton of it for sale at reasonable prices and so does three rivers.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

duffontap

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 12:14:14 pm »
How about this?  I came across some professional fletcher's page that said he used nylon upholstery thread.  I got some last night and it is a tiny bit thick but very, very strong.  I'm doing a batch of 30 arrows right now so to save time I fletched with super glue (hold 30 seconds and repeat) and I'm wrapping my feathers with this nylon thread.  A drop of super glue spread around with the finger at the front and back keeps the thread from unwinding.

I fletched 18 arrows with a Jo-Jan mono fletcher while watching V For Vendeta.  Since I'm wrapping the feathers anyway, I like this super glue trick.  I would like to go on the record for recommending super glue, nylon thread, and V For Vendeta.

J. D. Duff

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 02:06:55 pm »
Fletch tape works like a charm also for this.   
   JD, Don't get too wrapped up in the movie when working with super glue and your fingers. You might become a permanent attachment to your arrows. LOL    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 04:39:29 pm »
Pat,  I like that fletch tape but I can't walk through my kitchen anymore without a little piece of red tape sticking to me. 

I once bit the tip of a super glue bottle (while sqeezing it) to dislodge the clog in the tip.  It took about three hours to get the super glue off my teeth.  Actually, I wonder if I ever did.  Also, I stuck a bottle of super glue in my pocket and glued my pants firmly to my leg.  Not a glue for the faint of heart!

J. D. Duff

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 11:22:27 pm »
Let this be a lessong to all those people who carry a bottle of super glue in their pants! DON"T DO IT!!!! ;D You might glue something else to yourself!!!! OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHHH!!!!  :o

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

ragi

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 02:05:35 pm »
Heya

the best thing I have found to wrap your fletching is nylon upholstery thread. it looks like silk and is tough as nails. I make and sell arrows for a living and this is what I use. I have had complains about every other string I have used but this stuff, it is light, strong and just plain works.

I know a place nearby that deals in re-upholstering and I can get any color I like for cheap.

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 12:32:06 pm »
Is upholstery thread something you might come across at a Michaels or Walmart or Garden Ridge? 
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

ragi

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 12:41:05 pm »
you might but I dont know, I am in Montreal Canada and what is available in our stores is not always whats available in yours.

I suggest you find someplace in your area that deals with upholsterers. I know of a few places locally that do wholesale supplies for them. thats where I get my spools.

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 12:57:15 pm »
Thanks Ragi, I was using actual sinew/hide glue until I tried splitting artificial sinew and using that.  It is holding up in the 'abrasion' and 'strength' factors; though I'm certainly limited in colors.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

duffontap

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 02:24:19 pm »
Ragi--did you see my post from ages ago?  You may have been the professional fletcher I got the idea of using upholstery thread from.  It's perfect.  I can wear it out, but that takes a long time. 

J. D. Duff

ragi

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
Uhh no, I just only recently discovered the PA site was unlimited again. I have not been here since they decided to make it subscribers only. do ya have the link? I would love to see stuff written about me. ;)

bamboobender

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 01:08:25 am »
I have thought about using 6# spiderwire(dyneema) fishing line. Kinda expensive but it oughta be tough. It's really thin too. anyone ever tried that?

ragi

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 01:10:39 am »
yeah it looked like plastic. just ruined the look and is hard to finish off well. better to stick with the nylon thread.