Author Topic: Quality Airgun Repairs  (Read 13825 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Quality Airgun Repairs
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:52 pm »
I just had my old C 1947 Crossman 100 air rifle re-sealed. It is always a scary thing to send off a treasured rifle to someone you can't see. But, Rick seemed to know what he was talking about and his emails were fast and friendly. So, I boxed up my rifle, with no butt-stock as directed and mailed it to him with a $55 money order. That was $45 for the work and $10 for the shipping back to me.

Long story short: he took a gun that didn't shoot at all and set it up so it punches .22 size holes WAY DEEP in 2x4 lumber with no trouble.

His work was done well and quickly. If you are considering having airgun work done, he may well be the fellow to do it. He'll be doing all of mine from now on.

airgunshop.net/index.html

piper
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:50:42 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline jeff halfrack

Re: Quality Airgun Repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
   The   Crossman  factory  is  less  than  20  miles  from  me!    they  used  to  have  a  smith  right  there,  I  brought  all  my  crossmans  there,  I  had  an  old  pump  master   what  a  coon  killer  that  was !!!  JEFF W  p.s. have  you  seen  crossmans  new  stuff?   they  have  a  killer  crossbow   now!!   My  best  buddy  is  planning  to  own  one  soon  when  there  is  a  season  here in  NY   JEFFW

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »
Jeff, i've shot pounds of .177 during the last year or so using several different rifles and pistols.  Shooting, AND HITTING THINGS with this .22 gives me a whole new respect for air-driven pellets.   If my .177 pellets hit like a Toyota Corolla, then the .22 hits like a GMC Suburban. 

piper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:32:37 pm »
 I'd like to find a nice 22 airgun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:13 pm »
Me too.  I have an old RWS45 that needs trigger work.  The second stage of the trigger doesn't work anymore.  But, I really need a .22.  I have a really old Benjamin Franklin .22 cal pump pellet gun that the seals are so bad on it can't get the pellet out of the barrel.  It looks like a bicycle pump under the barrel with a plunger looking handle.  Bought it on a whim years ago.  Browning has a .22 spring air pellet pistol I've been lusting awhile.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »
I bought a el-cheapo Beeman RS22 combo the other day. It has the rifle and 3X9 scope for $140. I had a couple of gift certificates and was able to pay for it with them. I have been shooting pigeons and Eurasian doves with it for a few weeks now. It will put a .22 pellet clear through a pigeon at 25 yards. At $7 for 500 pellets I can shoot until I cant stand it. Did I mention that with the muzzle break it makes less noise than my compound bow.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:50 pm »
 I'll still be looking for an air rifle, but I did pick up two Remington 22 single shot rifles yesterday for $40.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:30 pm »
 Well   I'm  so  glad  this  subject  is  open!   first  sorry  I  can't  post  pics!!!  but  I  got  a  gammo   express,  get  this   .22  and  .22  shot  gun!!!  you  read  right!  shot  gun   what  a  blast!!!  hard  hitting  pellets  the  shot  gun  is  so  cool, I  used  it  for  squirrel   this  past  season  works  well  and  I  was  shooting  up  some  tall  maples!!!  the  shot  shell  can  be  reloaded(I'm sure gammo won't like  this!)  it  was  like  a  $100.oo   you  are  right  a  .22  air  rifle  is  cool  JEFFW

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Quality Air gun Repairs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:48:10 am »
Years ago I collected money for a retirement gift for an old man I really admired. He had mentioned when I worked with him that he was going to buy one of those "fancy BB guns" some day. He was a prince of a guy, badly wounded WWII vet, cancer survivor, volunteered to hold the hands of many dieing caner patients and best of all he never complained no matter how bad his condition became.

Everyone at work emptied their wallets when I told them I was buying a present for Harold so I bought him a Beman R-1 pellet rifle to thank him for being a great guy.

When we shot the gun it was a disappointment, very poor accuracy, but he was proud of it anyway.

He moved to Springfield MO when another bout of cancer threated his life so his wife could be near her folks. After he moved he called me to see if he could leave his Beman to me after he died. Of course I was touched by his thoughtfulness and said I would be honored to own his rifle. The next day there was a knock at my door, there was Harold holding the gun out to me. He said he would much rather deliver it in person than have it sent to me after his death. He drove from Springfield to Florence Alabama to do this, about an 8 hr drive. Typical Harold thoughtfulness.

This was about 10 years go. I wasn't until I was watching American Air gunner on TV that I found out we had been shooting the gun wrong and gripping it tightly instead of the "artillery" grip it required. The gun will shoot through the same hole at 15 yds when held properly.

Harold is still alive, the cancer didn't get him as he expected. I need to call him to let him know what I discovered. He is eighty eight now and not doing well. Two bouts with cancer, and a German 88 round that took most of his right leg didn't kill him but old age will pretty soon.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:26 am »

Gstoneberg, I think I have the same model BenjaminFranklin in .22 cal.  It is extremely accurate, and it used to knock the snot out of doves, quail, and squirrels.  They didn't survive being hit with it.  It really shot the best with the cheapest pellets!  Piper, I think I will contact that guy, and see if he can fix this one up.  It needs new seals, and gaskets, etc. and a rear sight.  The original was just a threaded bar with a "V" groove in it, with a screw through a flat piece of brass on the side of the barrel.  You adjusted the windage by turning the sight while holding the screw with a screw driver, and raised the elevation by loosening the screw in the flat plate.  But it was still very accurate.  Piper thanks for posting that info.

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:05 am »
Wayme,

Thanks, maybe I should try to get it fixed.  I'll take a picture and post it when I get back from deer hunting this weekend.   I also appreciate the link.  Hard to find air gun repair people.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 10:35:04 am »
George........no, don't get it fixed.  That's a big waste of your time and money.   Just put the rifle in a box and mail it to me and i'll give you twenty bucks for it.  And, i'll pay postage, too.  Ya....that's a lot better  idea.   Let me deal with all the details, you're a busy guy.   How's that sound?   

piper

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »

Dang Piper, I was just about to offer him tewnty, it , you just for parts, as it would cost him more to repair than it is worth...... ::)

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 02:59:55 am »
You guys are too kind.  I still haven't taken a picture.  I'm recovering from Saturday's opening day deer hunt debacle.  Only excitement came  when a couple does drank out of the hog wallow and then left.  O, when I bit into a fire ant on my donut, that was exciting too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:14 pm »
As promised, pictures of the old Benjamin Franklin air gun:

George
St Paul, TX