Author Topic: Too much spine a week before season!  (Read 2495 times)

Cacatch

Too much spine a week before season!
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »
Well, I took out my 50lb locust bow and cane arrows the other day, to try practice some short distance shots in preparation for deer season October 1st. To my surprise my stone-tipped arrows flew on average 4 inches to the left at 12 yards! With bone tips or light field points these shafts are right on for my bow, and I didn't think stone points would affect the spine, or at least that much. Now what? I was hoping to take these arrows out on opening day but I don't have confidence in them now. I don't want to try to shoot them to the right and screw up my aim. Could I put a slight bend in them so that it takes some spine away, in other words, curve them around the bow a tad?

Thanks for any advice,

CP

Offline Kegan

Re: Too much spine a week before season!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »
Curving them won't help. There are a couple things you can do to lighten the spine, but it seems you're really stiff here.

First, if you're using foreshafts, get yourself some longer extra heavy ones. Hickory, maybe even ipe, and put your points on them.

Raising your brace height will also help. A thinner, lighter string will too. I hesitate to say "file your arrow pass", but that's an option and one you might need available. If nothing else, you may want to just get some heavier points. Perhaps a fair bit heavier ???

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »
Yep. Heavier points or if possible narrow the arrow pass a little.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:50 pm »
Maybe try a little wire wrap around the shaft just below the points to add weight forward.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »
You might try sanding the shafts a bit with some sand paper also.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
I had the same problem on some tonkin arrows. Had some small diameter SS safety wire and wrapped about an inch or so from the base of the point back. Worked like a charm. You just need four hands to do it. I did it with two but trying to wrap art sinew around the wire then superglue then wrap the wire around the shaft then more sinew and super glue as the wire tries to unravel was a little tedious, but it worked.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)