Author Topic: Arrows: The essentials  (Read 12973 times)

Offline billmac

Arrows: The essentials
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:03:17 pm »
So I've changed my mind about purchasing glue on nocks and points.  I'll make trade points out of bandsaw material and self nocks.  What else do I need?  I'm looking for stuff that is easy to obtain and use, and not too worried about primitive-ness right now.  We've finally got bows to shoot and no matching arrows.  So I guess I need recommendations on:

Glue for points.
Thread and glue for thread.  Any old thread?
Easy finishes for the shafts.
Fletching glue (I'll probably start with synthetic vanes)

Offline DanaM

Re: Arrows: The essentials
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:19:47 pm »
Stay away from the plastic vanes. I don't think they will shoot very well. They don't lay down flat when they hit the riser. For
Glue on target metal points I like ferrul-tite make sure to clean the inside with acetone, trade points most likely 2 part epoxy and silk thread to wrap the points and the self nocks, I've used spar varnish for a finish and fletch tite to glue the feathers on.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »
Hot melt for points. You can use super glue for thread and fletchings. I prefer silk thread, it is stronger.  Or use sinew and hide glue. Spray urethane is a cheap and easy finish.  Plastic vanes are not as durable as feathers. Hit the plastic once while practicing, and you are replacing it.  The feathers can be purchased pre-cut so they are as convenient to use.  I'm doing some horn reinforced nocks right now, Ill post some pictures if you are interested. All this stuff can be purchased at 3-Rivers. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
Dana, it looks like you were posting while I was typing.  I see you agree about the stinking plastic vanes.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:25:17 pm »
I third the no plastic vanes motion. They don't shoot well from selfbows, they tear up way too easily; plus, Ishi, Saxton Pope, Maurice Thompson, Spotted Tail, and Gall will rise from their graves on moonlit nights and stalk you if you shoot them from a wooden bow ;D
They won't bother you about glue-on field points, though. Trades are good for hunting, but they definitely don't like to come back out of targets easily. Glue-on target points are the way to go for target and 3D shooting, you can get a pencil-sharpener-type taper tool from 3 Rivers for just a few bucks. Blunts made from cartridge cases work great for stump shooting and such-.38 or.357s fit perfectly on 11/32 shafts. Sparay-on or wipe-on polyurathane, or tru-oil works for an easy finish. I like sinew for wrapping feathers and reinforcing self nocks (shrinks as it dries) but silk thread and superglue works fine. For gluing fletching on, I usually use contact cement or superglue if I'm not trying to make replica primitive arrows. there are lots of things that work, everybody has their own favorite means and materials, just experiment and find what works best for you.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billmac

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:05:29 pm »
How careful are you guys about the weight of your points?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:24:08 pm »
You mean trade points?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline billmac

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:53:15 pm »
Tradepoints, blunts, bullets.  Do you try to keep them all the same weight so you shoot consistently?  I understand you would want all of one type the same weight but I mean do you try to make your blunts the same weight as the tradepoints you intend to use, etc?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 05:16:56 pm »
You want them to be as close in weight as possible. Same as the spine on the arrows. This means they will shoot close to the same point of aim. Changing mass or spine will cause arrows to fly all over the place.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:33 pm »
Weigh your shafts. Put the points that are a little lighter on the shafts that are a little heavier.  Justin

SW Utah