Author Topic: Rosewood Shafts Question???  (Read 13983 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Rosewood Shafts Question???
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:40 pm »
Well, I just harvested some wild rosewood shafts a few weeks ago and have been straightenning them as they dry. But beyong that point I have no ideas how to prepare them. Can anyone give me some pointers here?

Thanks

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Rosewood Shafts Question???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:00:23 pm »
Here are some instructions from Mickey Lotz's site.      http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/roseshootarows.msnw
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:31:19 am »
If anyone knows, Mickey knows!   One thing I know about rose is you don't want to peel it too soon or it WILL check.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:00 am »
Boy, that rose does not look like the wild rose we have here in Western Washington. Looks more like domestic rose. Here its got really small thorns, small flowers and rough bark.  Have no idea how it will be different. Anyone made arrows from the same stuff we have out here?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

tomm

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
Hi Dave first don't peel them to soon as they will check. I just took the Thorn's off and bundled them took them out about once a week to hand straiten and re bundled them when dry scrape off bark and use heat to put final straiten on them and see how they shoot. had a lot of trouble getting the spine right as they would shoot about 6' to the left that is why I bought store bought arrows at lest they went where I was looking.Well have fun with them tomm

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:33:56 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to put nocks and points onto rose shafts? I think I will nead to use hardwood foreshafts and nocks on the rose shafts since there is a lot of pith to them.

David T

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 05:41:51 pm »
For the nock end, clean out the pith and substitute with a dowel cut flush then cut self nocks and wrap. On the point end do the same but with a longer piece of dowel(2"-3"). Cut that flush and taper for field and glue on hunting points or cut a slot for trades and stone points. Wrap well behind the point. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tomm

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 06:37:27 pm »
hi Dave I just put self nocks and wrapped sinew around for about an inch Haven't had one split as yet for points just did the same and put my stone points in with pitch and sinew wrapped for an inch down seames to work for me. tomm

tomm

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »
Dave their are two kinds of rose here I think that ones that you have maybe called moss rose I haven't used that kins for arrows. I have used domestick rose a time or to as I have some here at home. tomm

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:13:39 pm »
Horn spined nocks like I did on the Southern Community Bow should work great to. Just make sure your horn is wide enough to eliminate any gaps on the side caused by the hollow core. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:17:56 pm »
From what I understand its the variety the Natives where using way back when. Supposed to have been their favorite arrow wood.

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 04:52:14 am »
I have speed-cured wild rose before by scraping off the outer bark and leaving the inner bark to release the moisture slowly.  It's been fairly successful.  Some rose shoots are pretty much going to check regardless of how careful you are.  After they are completely dry (a week indoors might do it), you can scrape the inner bark off and--wait for it--put them in the oven for a few minutes at about 300 degrees and you'll be able to get them straight in one run in many cases.  I'm just offering this as a speed-cure method.  It's not orthodox but it can work very well for those of us with the time and curiosity.

Like tomm said--it's very strong--even with the pith. 

J. D. Duff

ranger 3

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:00:45 am »
Do you have to wrap a self nock on river cane?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 06:17:58 pm »
...........Ranger3......I would if I were you......................bob