Author Topic: knife river flint  (Read 12767 times)

Offline juniper junkie

knife river flint
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:00:14 pm »
I am visiting my daughter this week in North Dakota, found some knife river flint. seems to work well, kinda hard though. I dont have my knapping tools with me, but I found some antler and have been working on some points. having trouble spalling out nice flakes, keep making bulbous flakes. I dont have a copper bopper, just a small hammer, not the best tool. maybe I can find a hammer stone to finish flaking. any suggestions on other tools that work well with this material?

Offline stickbender

Re: knife river flint
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:54:45 pm »

Where at in ND?  I have a friend in college up there.  I would like to get him to grab some.  I don't know what it looks like, and he wouldn't have a clue.

Wayne

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
I am in Dunn Center, 120 miles west of Bismarck. it is rootbeer color with white on the outside. there is a little house here called second hand corner that has some for sale. I have been picking it up along the roads.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »

Thanks, I will get in touch with my buddy, and see if he can find some.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
 Wayne, it is root beer colored, transluscent with small fossils inside.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:26:16 am »
It is hard, but it makes a pretty durable and sharp point.  I wish I had more of it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:04:16 am »
I used to live along the Knife River in NoDak (Beulah), never had any luck finding much of it in that area, but there were some old mining pits near Golden Valley where the pre-columbian people collected.  A geologist told me it was agatized cattail beds that made up the stone. 

Since you are in the area, try to get over to the Rainy Buttes area (halfway between Amidon and New England).  The Rainy Buttes stone is technically petrified wood, but it is easier to work.  And watch out for feral packs of ravenous pheasants in that area!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:23:46 pm »
where is that in relation to dunn center? there are a lot of pheasants there, just seemed like most of the land was posted.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:01:40 am »

Speaking of posted, how about posting some pictures of Knife River Flint....... ;D

Wayne

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »
Hey, JW: Funny you should mention Rainy Buttes and New England area. Did you happen to see that tall skinny water tower out there? I picked up a bunch of that petrified wood while building that thing long before I even knew you could make an arrowhead :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Deo

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »
If the material is too hard to work you can always heat treat to make it more flake able. Some where with in a 100 miles of me we have Monterrey Chert, which the natives mostly heat treated, the points they did not were much more crude.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
Something about the Knife River flint I just really like.
Good luck to any of you up there trying to stumble across some of it. ;)
I don't know exactly where to go to find it but there's a lot of info if you Google it.

I wish I had more of it, too, but here's a few pics of some.
Sorry about the indoor lighting.

Here's the same two pieces with a spall of root beer obsidian for comparison.

Here's a point Hardawaypoints Jim made several years ago.

And here's a pic of a point my wife bought for me a few years ago. Ofcourse she
was told it was authentic old, but to tell you the truth, wondering has made the
thing a 'Big' thorn in my side ever since. After thanking her I told her not to ever do
that again. ;) I've always thought it was some fossil-filled chert from Kentucky or
Tenn. but now that I look at it again, it might be Knife River.

All I can say is, Get as much of it as you can!
Joe

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 02:50:32 am »

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the pictures.  Well at least she got you something that you are interested in.......could've been a tie with smiley faces...... ;D :) :) :)  yeah, I definitely want to get some of that knife river flint.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
I would offer a kidney to someone for a Knife River gunflint for my .50.  Had one once and it lasted for the longest time and made the hottest dang sparks you ever saw!  Good stuff, Maynard.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:31 am »
Wow Joe, I almost forgot about that point.  That was some killer Knife River though.  Wish I had a truckload or two of it.

I'm down to a couple of primo pieces of it that I just can't make myself break into until I get some more.

I have a friend who goes duck hunting in N.D. each Fall who I am trying to talk into finding some to bring back for me...no luch so far.  I like the Rainy Buttes too.  It does work easier than Knife River and makes an ancient looking point the way the texture of it is.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.