Author Topic: First selfbow kill  (Read 11405 times)

Offline Postman

First selfbow kill
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
Setup sitting against a 3 trunk tree covered in briers Monday on the edge of a giant thicket near a grove of white and chestnut oaks  Had a group of 4 does come in, of course the yearling made a beeline for me as they always seem to do. Thankfully it stopped behind a tree as the biggest doe moved into my shooting lane at 17 yards. rose up a bit from my sitting position and let loose . Barely caught the back of the  shoulder blade, but the w woodsman point still went thru the top edge of one lung, and lodge midbdy out the other side. Deer plows into the nasty "superthicket" we all hate in our area. Steep sided creekbottom with blowdowns an d deadfalls everywhere.

8:15 - begin to track after waiting 30 min. 915. hands and knees, blood spots here and there. lots of 15 minute hangups circling for new blood. Drop maglite, bulb shorts out after about 100 yards, crawl back out of thicket.  Walk home, get new flashlight. 11: 30-  back in buisness, quickly loose trail. About 1: 30. Finally find blood in "tunnel'  in thicket i never knew existed. Huge piles of bear poop everwhere.(I'll be back in 2 weeks  ;D) Trail veers off into the stream portion of thicket.  Did she cross? no idea. circle, slip, curse, repeat. Find her underneath deadfall i crossed earlier around 2:30.

it's 47 degreess out. gotta get her back asap. drag her through thicket and blowdowns to powerline right of way and back home. take pics, clean her up and start skinnin'

6:00 last meat goes into cooler with iced saltwater (Thanks el destructo - great idear). *drain the water freqquently

7:00 get kids in car, go to work and teach high school on no sleep, talk smack to wheelie shooting students.

This morning - wife helps me get out of bed and dress myself. Lower back on strike with no breakthrough in negotiations expected soon. Students talk smack. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:58:55 am by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: First selfbow kill
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »
That's about the way all my Hunt go also.....don't know what I would do if one went well... :P....great end to an awesome story....and I'm had I was of some assistance also...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:31:49 pm »
Wooo long night!
 Dang thats a big girl! way to go!!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Key

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »
Good job and nice doe. Congrats.
Roger

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »
A LOT of meat and supplies lying there! Congrats on your first...no turning back now!!  ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline maddog314

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »
I love the story. I wish my hunting story ended with a deer. Just lots of missing the deer ( I am having a hard time judging my distances)
How much did she weigh?

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:17 pm »
Nice first !!! Ya do know that from now on, there aint gonna be no other way don't ya?  Kinda like taking Heroin for an opium addiction......been at it since 1962 and to this day I still get the rush, heartbeat in the ears, and the "wonderment" when it's done.....aint nothing like it  ;D what a rush
rich

Offline tgr

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:07:00 pm »
Is that a hide backed bow?  Can you fill me in on the ice salt water technique?
Tom R

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »
Great story and hunt......congratulations!!!!!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »
Thanks, guys. The bow is unbacked osage darked with permanganate. Bleach does the same, I'm told. I think she was 120-130 lbs dressed, kinda big for our area. Have gotten a few with wheelies and guns on the ground at close range, but this is a whole different and better ballgame   -  Halfeye said it best ;D

El D's quote  - he's in Texas, and usually in some kinda hot water too, so he knows of these things... ;) don't know why I said "salt"- no sleep, my bad. gonna modify it

You'd have to have Pappy's Walk In Coolers to hang one here to age...it's always in the 80's to 90's for Bow Season....this in not Conducive to imparting any sort of Good Flavor to the Meat..... :P....so hanging is totally out of the Question here....I Quarter mine...and then Ice themeat down for a week in 100 quart Coolers...draining the Water as the Ice Melts...this wicks away the Blood...and keeps the Meat from soaking in Water...then I cut it up...make my Tenderloin...Backstrap and Steak and Jerky cuts...then run what I can through my Tenderizer...and grind the Rest...When I am done with a Deer Carcass...and Singin Dog or Buzzard would turn away from it.......... ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »
Postman....I do put salt in the Coolers with the Ice...Ice cream Salt...or Rock Salt....it makes the Water colder...and helps to leach the Blood out of the Meat....just forgot to put that in there....You must be Psychic  (sp)........ >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:18 pm »
That's a great  story of your hunt Postman.Congratulations to you. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:03:41 am »

Postman, that is a big ol gal!  Way to go. 8)  Yeah, they never seem to make it easy to recover them.  I guess , I would do the same, if someone stuck an arrow in me. :o  Well, at least the kids were talking smack, and not doing smack! ;)  You definitely got a nice one, and are you going to hang up the self bow, and homemade arrows, and say been there done that , and go back to the training wheel bow? :o  I doubt it!  ;D You will probably be telling the kids at school, that you have advanced, by going backwards, in bow hunting, by going back to the style of your ancestors, and getting the rush that only the primitive style Boyer knows. I doubt that they will be able to understand it, but once they try it, I think they will put the wheels up on the rack. ;)  Have you shown them your bow?  You might be able to get some of them to try making one, and then hunting with it......and hook another soul into the realm of primitive archery...... ;D 8)  Then homemade arrows, then flint knapping.......poor kids won't be able to roam the streets at night, without looking for bow wood, and arrow material, and stopping to check out some rock, in the ground, instead in a bag. ;)  Of course you might not have the weekends to yourself any more either, what with teaching bow making, and arrow making, and planning primitive hunting excursions..... 8)  Nice hunt, and story.  And definitely a nice deer.  Glad you were successful. :)

Wayne

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:22:34 am »
Congrats thats a good un!Nothin like it huh!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:34 am »
Cool  El -D. musta read your mind! Was worried, but the meat turned out great, made some stew outta the scraps and tenderloin piccatta already . Wayne - tryin' to convert some of my knucleheads, got  at least one on the hook, and my neighbor the school cop  is got a line on some osage trees  -he wants in, too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:57:43 am by Postman »