Author Topic: John Lawson's Persian Horn Bow Takes Sept Backed Bows!  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
John Lawson's Persian Horn Bow Takes Sept Backed Bows!
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:21 am »
Congratulations to John Lawson From Southampton, England, United Kingdom For His Backed BOM Win!!

From John:

I have just finished this Persian Horn Bow which has taken me 6 months.  As I understand it a Persian Horn Bow is the same as a Turkish Bow but longer and with string bridges.
The bow is 53” nock to nock along its back and 40lb at 27 inches, the core is maple 0.140” thick and the belly is water buffalo horn, also 0.140” thick with three layers of deer sinew on the back, all glued using hide glue.
The siyahs are also maple and the wood was boiled for 30 minutes and then clamped to a former  They have a V joint fixing them to the core wood which was also formed by boiling.  The back of the bow is covered with thin red leather overlapping onto the belly of the bow.  I did not enjoy sinewing the back of the bow.
One picture shows the 3 piece string, one centre section and two end loops, and the special knot used on the Asian bows.  The string knot should come on the string bridge.
After tillering by heating the horn it was necessary to remove some limb twist again by heating the horn and then twisting in the opposite direction.  The string is central and does not really need the bridges.

The bow shoots well but as I had to guess at the relevant thicknesses it came out l0 lb lighter than I wanted and therefore does not shoot as far as I had hoped but even at this weight it is surprising the power these bows produce.  I hope you like it.

Some of the Forum Comments on the Stunning Bow:

"ohhh, i love it!"  -aero86

"WOW! Very nicely done. A 6 month build is a huge commitment on one bow. Your patience is outstanding. I've always been afraid of these bows, just because of such a long time to produce one."
-adb

"Nicely done, I'll take a green one.  ;D "  -n2huntin

"Sweet, very nice job on that one."  -pappy

"Nice bow you made there!" -medicinewheel

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:27:01 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline John Lawson

Re: John Lawson's Persian Horn Bow Takes Sept Backed Bows!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:02:12 am »
Thank you very much for electing my Persian Horn Bow for Bow of the Month.  I am so excited and glad people liked the bow.   
Thank you to all those who voted for me.

Just as a matter of interest I am from Southampton, England, United Kingdom.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
Well done, John. You made a beautiful, well tillered horn bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:13:21 pm »
Nice hornbow, well deserved win!
(Was surprised my pink-handled trilam bow came that close...)
Frank from Germany...

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »
You and the bow deserve the win, congrats.
N2
Genesis 27: 3