Author Topic: Dowel manufacturers?  (Read 9492 times)

Lloyd

Dowel manufacturers?
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:44:18 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with either Midwest Dowel Works or Atlas Dowel & Wood Products Co as sources for hardwood arrow shafts? specifically ash, beech and poplar?
any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lloyd

Offline billmac

Re: Dowel manufacturers?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:13:51 am »
Interesting.  The price seems right, but I wonder how many you would have to discard out of a 100 piece bundle because the grain wasn't straight.  Don't want to drive an arrow splinter through your forearm.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »
I have used birch from American Woodcrafters Supply. They are of good quality, but of course they are dowels, not arrow shafts, so expect a few culls. At .25 cents each, though, you can afford to take the chance, IMO.

Good luck!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:38:20 pm »
Wheneevr the grain isn't straight though, you can always use them for either underspined bows or other projects. Can't lose :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:27:56 pm »
Wheneevr the grain isn't straight though, you can always use them for either underspined bows or other projects. Can't lose :)
You can only use them for underspined bows if the bow is center shot.  They will still be to stiff to shoot around the riser, even though they are on the edge of EXPLOSION. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:29:51 pm »
All right guys yer startin to worry me about this straight grained stuff I sure don't want to
experience a shaft thru the arm. Sounds painful :'( So ya know anyone this has happened to?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:06 pm »
Saw pictures of a guys arm. Looked like meatloaf after they got done trying to remove all the splinters. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah