Author Topic: one fletch arrow.  (Read 13620 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

one fletch arrow.
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:31:00 am »
................Had a request to see one of my one fletch arrows that I use for huntin. Ok Justin, here it is. Sorry about quality of pics(cheap camera). Putt-putt wing feather on this one but can use tail feathers and I think thats what most do when they make these. Fly great on tonkin cane arras say from 0-20 yards even with large Cahokia pernts for hawgs. Like darts with smaller cahokia's or dalton's for deer and putt-putt..........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: one fletch arrow.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:35:23 am »
Pretty slick bob, may have to try that. I have some tail feathers. Do you mash the quill flat?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:55 am »
.........Yup, especially on wing feathers. If Iam feeling really abo I use a stone, if not a small ball peen hammer ;D.........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:20:51 am »
Thanks, I'm gonna try hard wood shaft as I have no cane or access to any.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:47:32 am »
Thanks Bob, Its just wrapped front and back isn't it. Did you glue the fletch with hide glue or anything?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:05 am »
Is the shaft split or the feather?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »
 Justin........ feather is just wrapped top n bottom on cane or I should say cane is wrapped. Cane is split down the middle Steve an small pith cleaned out for feather quill to sit in. Called a seminole one fletch, strange why I use it huh ?  ::)They are simple to make and fly great. Grandfather taught me how to make 'em and said they skewered many a gov't soldier during the seminole wars. I know they have skewered many a hawg and deer down through the years...........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:27:16 pm »
Thanks Bob, I didn't know if you glued the cane back together around the fletch before you wrapped.  I was watching the history channel the other day. They said that before the soldier got the repeaters, the Native Americans could get off 4-6 arrow for every shot.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:23:42 pm »
awesome bob.  i love this stuff.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:10 pm »
Well I'll be darned! That's EXACTLY how I made them when I first started out years ago. Didn't know they actually were used by Natives. I feel primitve 8)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »
Bob how do ya split the cane and controll the split so as it don't run to far?

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 08:40:43 pm »
  One way is to wrap it where you want it to stop.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:02:22 am »
 Dana ............... wrap it like Eddie said. I dont bother most of the time just split it slowly until I get a 7" split. Dosen't matter if you get 8" 'cause youre goin' to wrap it with sinew. If you do it right, it will close up as "slick as greased owl S#*#". :D :D. Its real simple but if y'all want, I will post some pics of how I do it ?...........bob
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:05:04 am by Kowechobe »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 01:05:21 am »
Bob, Please do post pics of how its done. A picture is worth a thousand words. ;D    Do you get any arrow spin with these arrows or is it necessary in a hunting situation(close range). I like the look and feel of the more primitive styles.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 02:37:50 am »
......Ok..so heres how I split the cane. Dosen't matter if you use tecta, gigantia, bambusa or tonkin. I have made arrows from all of these. Can do it abo or more modern. As you can see in pics the hammer, stone,sharp flake, razor knife amd pocket knife. Put arrow in vise or on a wood stump etc. I usually use stump but vise is easier to show when you have to hold camera with one hand !LOL. Then put cutting edge of whatever in middle of cane tap into and go down cane, cane will split cleanly. Dosen't matter if you overshoot mark (I use 7"). Clean out pithy center and if there is any trick its this. DO NOT scrape side of split or it wont close cleanly. Put in feather in center after pounding or scraping quill. Will fit in slot where pith was and close very nicely. Now sinew bottom of feather for 1" and top for 1/2". Reason for 1/2' on top is you are going to sinew just below nock after you cut it in. Trim feather to your liking and youre done, well except for foreshafts(if you use them). To answer Pat's question, these arrows will spin but IMO I dont think its necessary at huntin' distances of 20 yards or so. As a matter of fact at 10-12 yards I dont even use fletch on cane arrows and they fly fine. I would say can make a dozen arrows sans foreshafts and stone points once you have gotten materials together in less than one hour, once you get used to it. Hope this answers some questions that may be out there. Sorry for crappy pics, cheap camera, gotta get a better one......bob..Look at other posts after this ,for pics ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:58:38 am by Kowechobe »