Author Topic: feathers  (Read 10077 times)

Offline billmac

feathers
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:09:57 am »
So, if I manage to round up some feathers, do they need to be ground down on the quill side before using or if they are stripped properly can they be used like that?  I'm a little confused.

Thanks.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: feathers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:32:42 am »
I finally learned how to strip them good.  I have been grinding them down, but never again. I think they fit the arrow better when stripped.  Here is the link to show you how. http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/strippingturkeyfeathers.msnw  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:39:09 am »
I guess it to each there on,but I have tried them both ways and I prefere to grind them.
When I strip them they are harder to get to stay in my jig and tend to curl up so I just grind them.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:23:27 am »
I've tried stripping but with little success. I prefer to grind also.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:18:29 pm »
I don't strip from the end like Mickey does. I start about 2" down. I kind of wonder if the goose feathers I got from Kenneth strip better also.  I know it works better on the primaries than the secondaries. The quill is completely different on the goose feather than a turkey.  Maybe one of you guys can bring me some turkey feathers to try.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:08 pm »
I've tried stripping but with little success
:o  :o
 :-X  :-X  :-X......must....not......say it.............not .......enough........will power to not say it ............

Pat, if you'd shave that beard off and learn to dance, you'd probably be more successful ;D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:47:29 pm »
I cant believe I missed that opportunity. Its a good thing Hillbilly is watching out for us. Hey Pat the shower might help too. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »
Steve, The beard is there for a reason.  ::)  You don't wanna know whats under it! :o 
I'll just continue my grinding and leave the stripping to others. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Tom B

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:32:14 pm »
you guy's are too funny and i hate it that i cnn't make it to Pappy's  :( tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:26:51 pm »
  Gowd..Awlmighty! Thanks Steve you beat me to it :D Tom,next year I'll swing by and get you,is it a plan?
ps Pat just grinding is not a visual I want to remember.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:38:29 pm »
You have heard it all before, ;D Tom...but we will miss you at the Classic. Take Eddie up next year. He can run down and get Bob then straight up here to get you then go to Nashville 8). That ought to be fun in the Jeep :o
   ...and Eddie, I'll just keep it to myself next time! :-*      Pat

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 08:44:42 am »
Good link Justin. I strip also but I think I do it differently. I leave the quill on the piece I want to use and then grind. I use the outer part of the feather that has the thin quill  and scrap the big part of the quill. A pair of scissors helps reduce the quill and little sanding is needed. It takes little time and I really like the fletches.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell