Author Topic: Using raw bees wax for a bow finish  (Read 5014 times)

whitesquirrel

Using raw bees wax for a bow finish
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:50 am »
Hey

I want to use some raw bees wax ( still sitting in the jar of honey) to finish my wife's bow does anyone know how to start there and finish a bow with out making a sticky mess.

White Squirrel

Minuteman

Re: Using raw bees wax for a bow finish
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:58:57 pm »
I use polyurethane or something for the first coupla coats then I use wax to make sure the little cracks and scratches that invariably occur on a bow stay sealed.Wax unbuffed will also subdue a shiny finish.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:16:03 pm »
You will have to seperate the honey from the wax first. Melt the wax and heat the bow. Brush or rub the melted wax on the bow and reheat the bow so the wax will sink in. After it takes all it will, wipe off the excess wax and you are good to go. Dean Torges discusses this method in his "Hunting the Osage Bow". He uses parrafin.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:40:49 pm »
Some mix the paraffin and bees wax. I think it will raise the melting point. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 02:51:58 pm »

I just talked to a guy I work with a couple of days ago that raises bees about if he had some bee wax for bow strings. What he does to separate the wax from other "stuff" such as honey, is first boil the wax in water. He said the wax will separate from everything else and rise to the top to be removed. You might have to scrape some of the "stuff" from the bottom surface.

Might think about this step to remove the honey prior to using on your bow. I havn't tried it myself though... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

whitesquirrel

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:31:07 pm »
Thanks for the info

White Squirrel