Author Topic: Lightning (shaft) grooves: Huh?  (Read 9972 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Lightning (shaft) grooves: Huh?
« on: April 26, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
I have lurked here for a long time and thoroughly enjoyed learning from you all. What the heck are these grooves (depth, etc.) and why do you think is their purpose? I know one theory is they help keep the wood shaft straight after heating (TBB), but can anyone verify this and tell us exaclt how and when you make them? How deep are they? Do they spiral or are they straight? Are they only on shafts made from shoots (I'm talking authentic arrows here).

Dave
NW Montana

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lightning (shaft) grooves: Huh?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:59:40 pm »
I have only played with lightning grooves a little but the theory is that the ridges along the grooves dries out faster and acts as a splint to support the shaft so it will stay straight.  The tool I used is simular to the one in TBB...a small block of wood with a rounded groove of simular size as the shoots and a sharp point sticking through the center of the groove. I used a screw(for adjustment purposes) with its tip sharpened and that point protruding through the block.  The lightning groove doesn't have to be deep, maybe 1 /16" or so. I believe it can be straight or spiraled.
   You wouldn't really need them on dowel type shafts but you can use it on them. I believe they are primarily for shoot arrows.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:15:59 pm »
I didn't see that tool in TBB. Was it TBB2 or TBB3? Have you heard the straightening theory other places? I am making my first red osier shafts and it's going well although the straighter the better I'm sure you agree!

Dave
NW Montana

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:06:52 pm »
Red osier makes very good arrows. You probably don't need lightening grooves unless you just want to do them. Your shafts don't have to be perfectly straight. I kinda like then a little snake because of the reactions I get at the target butt. As long as the point and nock end line up the arrow should fly well.
   After I straighten my hardwood shoot shafts with heat and oil I will scorch them a bit to temper them. This will help to keep them straight.  This also adds a nice camo effect. Check out the arrows Justin posted earlier today. I prepared the shoots and mounted the heads and he did the splined nocks and fletchings.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:14:31 pm »
Where did he post em Pat, I don't see them.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:07 pm »
never mind found them on the Johnny Reb page Duh
Not to sharp today

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 04:38:31 pm »
Not to sharp today

DanaM
The old me was going to say TODAY??  ???
The new kinder, gentler me is going to say, oh don't be so hard on yourself. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
                      "The kinder, gentler me ".....Oh pleeeasee :o :D....bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:27:28 pm »
Ya I've been in a fugue, I think thats the word. Blahs works also :-\

DanaM

Manistique, MI