Author Topic: Eastern New Mexico/West Texas rock?  (Read 1968 times)

JustinNC

Eastern New Mexico/West Texas rock?
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »
Anybody know anything about any rock out that way.

Wifes family is in Clovis NM and we're due a visit next year. Need to start my research early so I can hopefully bring some rock home next year.

Our route would take us along I40 to Amarillo and down through Herford TX and on down through Bovina TX into Clovis NM OR

I85 down to Atl GA to I20 across to Sweetwater TX and up 84 through Lubbock TX and across.

I suppose if I went I could calculate a smaaaalllll diversion if need be.  ::)

JustinNC

Re: Eastern New Mexico/West Texas rock?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »
Holy  cow, I just realized, the "clovis" style point is named after a point found in a famous archeological dig called "the clovis site" or "blackwater draw" from the area my wife is from....i.e. Clovis NM. Wow. I guess I have a reason to visit the inlaws now. Of course now that I have a reason to go, she doesn't want to.  ::)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »
Only Rock around Amarillo is Alibates Flint....but you can't find many places along the Canadian  River Breaks that's not Federal...or Private....and its a very small area where this Rock exists.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:03:24 pm »
Can't take rock from federal land out that way?

Just checked about some close to here (NC) and said pretty much just take "hand fulls" and for "non commercial use" was alright.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »
The Alibates Flint Quarry is a National Monument...can't even take a flake of the stuff....I had a place up until this year to go...but the Ole Boy passed....and his Son won't let a Sole on the Property for any reason other than Big Game Hunts....where the Money is here in the Panhandle... it ain't Cattle any more....its Deer....Elk....and every other Creature you can put behind a high fence and charge for....you could probably buy rights to hunt rock....but I won't.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:53:09 am »
The Alibates Flint Quarry is a National Monument...can't even take a flake of the stuff....I had a place up until this year to go...but the Ole Boy passed....and his Son won't let a Sole on the Property for any reason other than Big Game Hunts....where the Money is here in the Panhandle... it ain't Cattle any more....its Deer....Elk....and every other Creature you can put behind a high fence and charge for....you could probably buy rights to hunt rock....but I won't.

Yeah no kidding. I'd take a lot of pride in being able to "quarry" my own. I guess if and when I do, it'll be the good ole NC rhyolite.

Didn't know you meant a National Monument. Thought that maybe it was BLM or National Grassland or something.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 01:26:02 pm »
Hey Justin: When you get just West of Weatherford and cross the Brazos river, there is some chert in there. Not big pieces but nice stuff if ya cook it. The crossing at I 20 is sandy, not many rocks - You'd have to take hwy 4 north out of Palo Pinto to dark valley. Pretty good little diversion off your trail but there's flint in there. Only others I can think of are all a good ways south of your route, like around Junction, San Angelo - down in that country. Lots of perd..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:31:36 pm »
Thanks Cowboy. I will keep that in mind for my next trip. Will probably be next summer, unfortunately.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »
Dang that's a long time in the car with 4 young'uns.   :D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:00:58 pm »
Dang that's a long time in the car with 4 young'uns.   :D

It takes patients, a long stick to do it, but it CAN be done!

The long stick is fer 50mi into a 1500mi trip when the patients run out, the stick is fer whuppin.