Author Topic: Further reduction ? (update)  (Read 3132 times)

Lombard

Re: Further reduction ? (update)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:31 am »
I'm one of the lucky ones to get some of Bill's rock. Some of the stuff he threw in the bucket was better than my best work, but just culls  to him. No guts no glory!

Bob, you managed to make it look good just the same.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »
Jesse has a very good point about working from the start for the super this stuff.  On Bob's last picture up top, he had a hump and his edge had the correct bevel.  I would have ground, possibly made an isolated platform and smacked the snot out of it.  I then probably would have put both chunks in a bucket and made some smaller points at a later date.  That would be after doing the "Knappers' Dance" while saying the "Sacred Words".  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 01:33:48 am »

Dang Bill you do that too?  I thought I was the only one who knew the sacred words, and dance! :o ;D  It was something that just sort of came to me, after the second almost knife blade became three almost arrowheads! ::)  Sort of spiritual actually.  Some of it was in unknown tongues, I think.  Sometimes I would finish the dance, and put the piece on the anvil of the vice, I uh,...mean the sacred altar, and take the sacred hammer, and scatter the stone to the four winds.  Then I would sweep up, go have a beer, and come back out later, try to just make an arrowhead.  It is kind of calming that dance, and sacred words...... ;D  Nice job Bob, I wish I could get to that stage, to wonder if I should pressure flake, or whack the snot out of it.  Right now, I just get to the point where I wonder if I should place it on the sacred altar....... ::)

Wayne

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:41 am »
Wayne, been to the sacred place a few times myself, I wasnt real happy with this point so the day after pictures were taken I decides to alter, Yep it broke so it was a short lived point. Later Bob

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »

Sorry to hear about the point Bob. :(  Yeah, I have had a few times when I should have left well enough alone, till my skills got better. ;)  But it was nice while it lasted.  It is like the stone is teasing you and daring you to just try leave, without trying just a little improvement here, or there......then it is like you can hear it laughing, as you hold two or three pieces of it in your hand.  I made a nice little calf creek, about an inch long, and had put in an altoids, can, with some others that I decided that I would use as hunting points, when I opened the tin to put in another point, it jumped out and hit the concrete floor, and broke off one of the ears.. :'(
Well it sure looked like it jumped out.  You do nice work.  Like I said I wish I could get to that stage.  I even do the ritual blood letting, and I still can't get to that stage.  I wonder if I am doing too much blood letting.  Maybe it should not be just my blood..... ;D
Anyway, I get one now and then, but no knife blades.  I keep breaking them.  All I have been working with is Obsidian.  Well, go get another chunk, and go at it again, and post the pictures. ;)

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 07:32:01 pm »
just ask Abby about my sacred place lol.
 Good job Bill , its all about learning and takeing what you lern from one point and doing it on the next.

Mililani Hawaii