Author Topic: Billy got a BIG doe!  (Read 12924 times)

Offline billy

Billy got a BIG doe!
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »
HEy guys,

I got this big doe last Saturday, but I was having trouble posting the pics.  So here's my second attempt.  Got her with my osage longbow, rivercane arrow and stone point made of heat treated novaculite from Arkansas.  She was feeding in a turnip patch when I shot her at about 7 or 8 yards.  I was in a stand, and hit her just above and slightly behind her left elbow.  When she ran off I was concerned because there was a lot of arrow sticking out of her.  She fled about 90 yards across the food plot then disappeared into the woods.  We backed off and gave her 3 hours just to be sure before tracking.  Well, it was unnecessary because we found her about 45 yards inside the woodline, stone dead.  Turns out the stone point went between two ribs on entry, cut thru both lungs, the top of the heart, and shattered the #4 rib on the far side.  I actually found the small middle section of the stone point in the top of the deer's heart when I performed the autopsy.  We weighed her before field dressing and she tipped the scales at 178 lbs.  The pictures don't do her justice....she was BIG.

The stone point was a short, kinda stubby point made from a thin flake, but it wasn't particularly pretty or symmetrical.  It was kind of expediently made, but it was finely serrated and very sharp.  It was a bit larger than my typical bird points....it was 3/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch long.  It was hafted with pine sap glue and sinew.  Even though the point shattered the rib and then stayed in the deer for about 100 yards as she ran off, the point was still held as securely as though I had used epoxy.  Also, the far shoulder was a mess of bruising and coagulated blood.....I was shocked when I saw how much bleeding had occurred because it looked like I shot her with a high powered rifle.  I find it pretty impressive that a primitive bow and stone tipped arrow was capable of that kind of damage. You can see it in the pics, along with the broken rib and the stone point I got her with. 

Here are the specs on my equipment :  Osage self bow, 52 lbs at 30" (although I didn't quite reach full draw), rivercane arrow with short dogwood foreshaft weighing 520 grains, and stone point made of novaculite.  Oh, and to top it off, I self filmed the whole thing and got it on video!!! 

Hunting with primitive stuff is a real thrill....I LOVE it!! Hope ya'll enjoy....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:03:03 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline PeteC

Re: Billy got a BIG doe!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »
Congrats on your success Billy.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:58:21 am »
damn that tore her up
nice job billy

if my memory serves me right,it wasnt all that long ago you psoted your first primitive kill
a bunny i think it was,now your getting them king daddy rabbits  ;)
good for you,keep at it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:31:50 am »
WOW. nice job
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:11:07 pm »
Hey Billy,

I personally want to thank you for posting this photo as well as all the other work you are doing to document the efficacy of stone heads.  While I know it is hopeless to change the laws here where I live, I enjoy fact based reporting of your experiences.  This is much better than simple conjecture, anecdotes, and wild ash guess work.

John Halverson
Black Hills, South Dakota
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:16:00 pm »
Congrats Billy ! Some great eating there !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Key

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
Good job Bill, congrats!
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:09 pm »
Excellent Billy. Was that a GA deer? If so she really was big. 178# is a good sized buck in the S. E. US.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
Very nice...... congrats !!!!!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:58:29 am »
Awesome job Billy!!! Love your passion and intensity for primitive bows/arrows! That doe is as big as some of our corn fed bucks in IN! Good eats! I'm really encouraged by the size of the point you made and used- very effective.

Take care

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:12:20 am »
Nice job billy,very nice doe.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:21:51 am »
Good job welll done those stone points pack a reall wallop.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:02 am »
 Congratulations, Billy. Those are cool pictures, that head really messed her up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:54 am »
WOW that's a big doe! congrats on the kill and getting great data on stone points. Are you posting the video? What kind of camera / setup did you use? I would like to try and film my hunts.  Thinking of strapping a 2 hour flipcam to a headband.... ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline BearG

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
Good jog Billy.  Great doe by a great guy
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.