Author Topic: Will these knapp?  (Read 5361 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Will these knapp?
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:37 am »
I have never knapped or even thought about it until joining the forum to talk about self bows.  But, all the beautiful arrow heads and knives posted here have me absolutely intrigued.  Bumped into Rickey down here looking for osage who said he'd show me the ropes.  So, next time out to the lease near Abilene (TX) I began to look at rock in a whole new light.  There are literally flint flakes everywhere, but finding actual rock large enough to make a point from was more challenging than I thought.  I must've knocked chips off dozens and dozens of stones.  Every time a piece came off smooth and sharp I tossed the rock in the golf cart basket.  Here's what I ended up with.  Do you think any of these will work?  My wife is gonna scream when I take up yet another hobby... ;)

Thanks,
George

PS. There is a geode in there and also a rock of iron ore that I know won't work...but I thought they were cool so I brought them home too.   ;D
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Will these knapp?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:08:41 am »
Dang right they'll knap George! Allright, around Abilene, hmmm... That's pedernales flint you have there or something like that (all classified as Edwards Plataeu I think) and rough one's at that! You can work em like they are and make some thick course points or cook em and make some fine points. Or, you may surprise us all and make some nice raw fine points too ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
Thanks for the info.  This is on the plateau for sure, pulling that golf cart behind my jeep uphill out there is tiring, especially Ranger hill.  The flint inside those rocks varies from nice and smooth to pretty grainy.  There's also alot of stuff that looks like granite inside.  I didn't bring home but one or so of those just to have somebody knowledgeable look at.  My plan to to make huntable points and then go back out there and kill a hog with one.

I've watched some you-tube videos and need to first make some of the tools I'll need.  I'll have to go buy some leather but I have an old golf cart mat to make the hand pad with.  Probably could make 100 of them.  I'm old enough to be a decent judge of my skills and I suspect it'll be a surprise if I build a usable point at all. ::)  A fine one is probably way down the road at best.  Is there any danger of tire damage from flint chips?  I would prefer to knapp on the rock driveway to the shop?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline arappaho

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:02 am »
You are one lucky man to have all that knappable material right in your own backyard! :)
Not to mention all the other miscellaneous rock you might find.
I would HIGHLY recommend you create some out-of-the-way special area out by your
shop, or somewhere, for knapping and your new rock collection hobby. Not so much
because the chips and flakes would slice your tires, but more because you don't want to
create a mound you have to drive over to get to your shop! I think you will be amazed
to discover how much refuse is created trying to make even the smallest points and how
quickly your pile of rocks will grow. It would probably be best to keep it all together and
out of the way. You don't want to have to move those rocks around very often either. ;)
Have Fun,
Joe

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
i

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »
No they wont knapp them are not worth anything if u want shipe em to me I'll find something to do with em.... ::) ::) ::) :D

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »
I wish the lease was my backyard.  I drive about 4 hours to have fun hunting...and picking up rocks.  Still, feel fortunate to have a place where there's flint even if it is a drive.

I'd think the shipping charge on rock would be a little stiff?  Sad to hear they are worthless though.   :'(  Darn it...  LOL.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:57:39 pm »
I do a lot of research and rock hounding I know what it takes to get them even if they are in or around ur area its hard work!  Enjoy ur rock find!  I hope u know was a joke of course I am always trying to get flint or Im giving it away!  Take care and post them pics would like to see ur quarry and some points!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »
Of course Russ ;D, and I'm certainly open to trading some rock but I need to make sure this is worthy before I could send it to you.  I don't really have a quarry, I just walked around some mounds that are on the property which are littered with flint chips and picked up rocks that I thought had potential.  Made me wonder if somebody had knapped there before, but I haven't seen any arrowheads or even broken attempts.   Most of the rocks were regular old limestone, geodes or rocks I couldn't identify; but every now and then I'd get one to chip a piece off that looked good and in the basket it would go.  I got so enthralled with it that on the drive home I noticed a limestone outcropping the road had cut through about 20 miles from the lease.  I turned the jeep and trailer around, parked, and spent a half hour banging chips off the stuff there.  It was all really soft limestone though.  There was some interesting looking stuff up higher, but the slope was so steep I was afraid to climb way up there.  Playing with rock can be downright intriguing.  I need to go rock hunting with somebody that knows what to look for so I can learn a little more about it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »
We'll have you makin' points in no time , George! All it takes is a little patience and a little blood...hehe.

Rickey
Garland, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:11:12 pm »
Hey Rickey, hope you're mending up.  Byron came over today and showed me his knapping tools and an osage bow he'd made.  Looked really nice.  Somebody else is coming over to work on a bow tomorrow afternoon.  Getting busy around here.  When are you coming back over?  I had to move your stave over against the wall so I could work on the S-curve stave.  Anyway, I've been watching knapping video's all afternoon as the rain pours down.  The shop is so loud in a downpour I couldn't work out there.  I'm anxious to start hitting on some rock.  Byron brought over a beautiful piece of obsidian when he came.  Be awhile before I'm ready for that.  Need to find some glass to play on.

Hope to see you soon.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Coreytheknoob

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:21 am »
George, is your lease around Abilene? I'm stationed out here at Dyess and have been looking for a place to hunt for some chert but still have to network to meet some landowners. I've been collecting anywhere i can find that's not private property. I've got some coworkers who find stuff for me down south near Ballinger. I'm no expert knapper by any means but am pretty familiar with the basics. Also, been making my own self bow from Osage Orange. I was gonna ask how yours was goin'?

- Corey

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:37:47 am »
Corey,
The date of the thread is pretty old.
You may get lucky to get a reply.
Hope you do.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Coreytheknoob

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 12:42:28 pm »
Ya, I didn't look at the date until recently lol. I should have thought of that first but got too excited to see someone local!

Thanks for the response.

- Corey

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:58:50 pm »
I doubt the link will work, so look in the
"Around the Campfire' forum.
There is another guy looking for Osage in TX
Heading for Texas
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.