Author Topic: More squirrels  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
More squirrels
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:59 am »
Well, it's deer season but I just keep killing squirrels.  Saw 3 does today but no shots.  Got a tree rat before departing the stand.  He sat up in that tree for quite a while but then came down for an acorn.  He shouldn't have done that.

Offline billy

Re: More squirrels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:45:50 am »
Nice shot Jesse!  I've shot at lots of squirrels but miss them everytime.  Well, almost every time... :)
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:22 am »
Dang Jimmy they aint a squirrel around thats safe from you ;D Good shooting and some good gravy makins right there!!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Key

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:00 am »
hmmm, good eating they are, nice shootin.
Roger

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
JB
Yer waxin tree rats like none other. Yu been huntin on Campbell yet? We been seein 15-30 deer a day in the archery AO's. Chunked a stick on a big choc horned behemuth two weekends ago in 04, on the ground still huntin no less. Been warm but seeing good movement the last week early. My stretch of R. River has plenty orphans running about already. Too many long legged beans munchers! Keep shootin them hickory knut thieves, stay ready ifin it rains all heck is gonna cut loose in the woodline soon.

~Smag
>>>>====>
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:37:10 pm »
Smag - I am in DC. Wife and kids still in Clarksvegas but I am going to school for a year.  I'm hunting on Quantico Marine Base and a friends private property.  Acorns are bountiful here which make for good deer and squirrel hunting.  I've been seeing deer but not getting the shots I'd like. Hope to connect this weekend. I'll hunt Thr and Fri afternoon and all day Sat.  I'm still trying to figure things out since this is my first season here and I didn't get to scout.  I'm just trying to pay close attention when I'm in the woods

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »
Been up to that area when I was doing work at Bragg. Bragg got plenty deer to, just have to find a good swamp and find a trail cross. Problem with mast is if there abunch all the deer have to do is eat 5-7lbs/day, go roll over then do it again the next day. They just do not move alot. Best years are when the acorns are sparse to me. You'll get a shot, find out which ones they like best. Think I remember some Chestnut oak stands up that way? They'll hit those before they take the Reds/Scarlets.
 Mid-Tenn has a few and if yer lucky enough to find a white stand that did not drop fruit with all this heat early yer in Biz! As far as know up to last week only one good archery deer taken on Campbell, Wheel bow. Took this kid an (e-8) into the bush last weekend. He said he has "not seen a deer in the woods at Campbell this year". Told him "be here 0445hrs Sun and you'll not see just one you'll shoot one". Well, he had about 15 under his stand all morning and he shot one with an expandable. The thing failed when one blade hit part of the skapula. I spent 4-5 hours on my face following pinhead sized spore. No deer. 
Hey JB
Be safe not sane.

~Smag
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW