Author Topic: Squirrel shoot and rock run  (Read 14001 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Squirrel shoot and rock run
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »
Hey NC guys (or anybody else for that matter), anybody up for a trip to Uwharrie to gather some rock and fire some arrows in the general direction of some squirrels?  Bryan and I were talking the other night about trying to do something after deer season goes out, since we don't care to get shot.  I'd like to go after duck season, but if January works best for everyone else I'll miss a day.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

Re: Squirrel shoot and rock run
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »
Im in

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »
I would certainly be interested...what area of the Uwharries did you have in mind? I know of a decent squirrel area but the only rock I have found is a very dark and coarse ryholite that's not much good.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:36 am »
Keep me updated. I am interested.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:51 am »
I may go by boat before Jan. Havent decided yet.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:32 am »
I would certainly be interested...what area of the Uwharries did you have in mind? I know of a decent squirrel area but the only rock I have found is a very dark and coarse ryholite that's not much good.

I don't have anywhere in particular in mind, I'm open to any ideas.  For me, the rock is the main priority so I'd like to go to an area that gives us the best possibility of finding some good stuff.  The squirrels are just a good excuse to carry the bows and hopefully have some gravy later.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:53 pm »
Well, if ya'll are anything like me your calendar tends to fill up before you know it.  Might be a good idea to go ahead and lock down a date.  How's Feb. 5th look, besides cold?
Cleveland, NC

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
id be game too. no, no dont shoot at me.....

I mean I would be interested and Feb 5 works.

maybe we ought to make it an overnight and all camp out and drink beverages to ward off the cold.

hummmm?
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:41:16 am »
id be game too. no, no dont shoot at me.....

I mean I would be interested and Feb 5 works.

maybe we ought to make it an overnight and all camp out and drink beverages to ward off the cold.

hummmm?
N2

I like where that train of thought is going, Wade.
Cleveland, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 11:54:53 am »
Somebody say beverages??

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »
Keep me posted. I could be talked in to loosing some arrows.

Trey

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:56:38 pm »

Where about's is this spot?  I mean in general, don't expect you to share your honey hole with everyone.  Looks like we may need to concentrate more on hanging out and shooting at squirrels and such.  I also know that the Perkins Game Lands in Davie Co. is supposed to have a good small game population.
Cleveland, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 12:40:29 am »
If no one offers up a piece of private property for a squirrel hunt/camping then a game land will be needed. That creates a problem if camping over night is in the plan since very few game lands allow camping, at least that I am aware of. However, in central NC at a remote little place is an area called Burkhead Game Lands. It is west of Ashboro off of Rt. 49. It is a section about 4-5 miles wide and 5-6 miles long. It allows camping anywhere within the game lands. I have done plenty of trips there in 18th century clothing and carrying black powder flintlocks. There are usually plenty of squirrels about, but like anything they can be hard to find sometimes. I believe the Birkhead Game Lands can be found by searching the web for directions. Two parking lots are available, one at the old Thurmond home site that is a good choice since it can be seen from the road. The other one is hidden from the road.

This is just a suggestion as to a location. I will plan on attending if this comes together on February 5th, 2011.

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:41:17 am »
If no one offers up a piece of private property for a squirrel hunt/camping then a game land will be needed. That creates a problem if camping over night is in the plan since very few game lands allow camping, at least that I am aware of. However, in central NC at a remote little place is an area called Burkhead Game Lands. It is west of Ashboro off of Rt. 49. It is a section about 4-5 miles wide and 5-6 miles long. It allows camping anywhere within the game lands. I have done plenty of trips there in 18th century clothing and carrying black powder flintlocks. There are usually plenty of squirrels about, but like anything they can be hard to find sometimes. I believe the Birkhead Game Lands can be found by searching the web for directions. Two parking lots are available, one at the old Thurmond home site that is a good choice since it can be seen from the road. The other one is hidden from the road.

This is just a suggestion as to a location. I will plan on attending if this comes together on February 5th, 2011.

Burkhead Wilderness area of the Uwharrie? Camping and probably squirrels......gotta be careful about the rock though ::)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »

Here's a link;  http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/piedmont/birkhead.html

I believe I called it the Thurmond home site for parking and it is actually the Thornburg home site...sorry