Author Topic: Squirrel shoot and rock run  (Read 13998 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Squirrel shoot and rock run
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:52 pm »

Here's a link;  http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/piedmont/birkhead.html

I believe I called it the Thurmond home site for parking and it is actually the Thornburg home site...sorry

Looks like a cool site, and would be fairly central if anybody was to come from the east.  I'm all for planning on camping, knapping, and hunting there.  All in favor.....
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »
What are the regulations on camping, hunting, alcohol, firearms? You know, all the good stuff. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:25 pm »

Here's a link;  http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/piedmont/birkhead.html

I believe I called it the Thurmond home site for parking and it is actually the Thornburg home site...sorry

Looks like a cool site, and would be fairly central if anybody was to come from the east.  I'm all for planning on camping, knapping, and hunting there.  All in favor.....

Aye

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:28:45 pm »
sounds good
bryan irwin

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:42:44 pm »
Hey Nugget, you can camp anywhere on the Birkhead land except near the old home sites.  The rest of the Uwharries land is not a "Wilderness area" and camping is restricted to camp sites. Alcohol is prohibited on all game lands, so being discrete has always been the wiser choice  >:D. Guns are regulated by the hunting season, which is; as long as a game season is open for firearms on the game land then it's good to go. We have always hiked in a ways and camped. A 6-8 foot wide creek is not far from the Thornburg home site and squirrels are usually found along that creek.

To be honest as many acorns as I have seen this year, I would be willing to bet squirrels are scattered and well fed. Just the same, nothing wrong with trying. Wonder if anyone has some good squirrel dogs??

I have often wondered if the Birkhead area could be made into a "PRIMITIVE HUNTING ONLY AREA"....black powder and bows. It would be an excellent land for it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:18:37 am »
What's everyone's preference here, camp Friday and hunt Sat., or hunt Sat. then camp that night?

I really, really hope we have a bit of a warming trend before then.  Geez it's cold now.  (yeah, I know this is really nothing compared to a lot of you up north, but here in NC we might as well be entering another ice age.)
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline rivercane

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
I would like to join in too. It would be nice to meet some folks who like scarring animals with pointy sticks. I was in the Birkheads at the beginning of archery season and saw quite a few squirrels near the Thornburg entrance. A few rabbits also.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:30:55 pm »
come on.
bryan irwin

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:15 am »
I can just see it now.  One lonely squirrel dodging a dozen arrows. 

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
Well, the time is getting close.  I think Bryan and nclongbowman have found us a good spot to hunt and camp, and it sounds like we might have a dog to help us out, too.  When does everybody plan on getting there?  Does everyone want to hunt Sat. and then camp that night?  I figure with work and travel that may be easier for most, but if the majority prefers camping Fri. I'm down with that.  Everybody ok with fending for yourself for lunch and maybe doing a pot luck style supper and breakfast?
Cleveland, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »
If the weather holds out, I will go Saturday morning. I broke my fibula bone last Monday taking down a ladder stand that fell backwards from the tree. Not the stands fault, it was an absent minded act on my part.

I am hoping to be able to at least get to the parking lot and spend the day. Even if no one stays overnight at least a day of knapping and shooting may be in order of fun. I was down there on Saturday of last week and the road into the lower (south) entrance was muddy at the bottom but no problem getting up to the parking area. The upper (north) parking lot is never a problem, but it is close to the main road.

We can try and get a yay or nay from everyone just before going.

suggestions; if you have some firewood, throw some pieces in your truck. ;D

If you know any interested folks give them a heads up!

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »
I can bring a good bit of firewood.  Might be a good idea if another person or 2 brings a little with them, too, I'd hate to run out.
Cleveland, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 10:16:18 am »
who what when and why? we know where. See yall there! I'll be there Saturday morning to sunday mornin!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:54 am »
If you want to you can come over to the house Sat., and we can ride over together.  I think Marley will be coming along, but she'll hang out in the back seat.  As of yesterday the weather is supposed to be sunny and around 50, low around 30, which would be great!  I'll commit to a fritata for breakfast on Sunday, and I'll figure out something else to bring to eat Sat.
Cleveland, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 11:59:49 am »
I'll see about egg aquisition for this shindig. I'll throw in a bear hind quarter and a jar or meat or two as well. FFYS Saturday breakfast/lunch and potluck saturday night and plan breakfast on sunday mornin?

TJ you still likely to be tied up with work? I might have to throw down some jalepeno poppers, but that's a lot of work in the field, especially with that many hungry fellers.