Author Topic: Think I messed up  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Think I messed up
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:38:17 am »
I did my first snake skin baked bow
How long is normal for drying before finishing?
My bow is taking on set for some reason only reason I can think is moister was sealed in when I finished it.
I think I waited 2 weeks before finishing , it was in air conditioning .
Tiller still looks good just no reflex left in it.
Can I flip the tips with snake skin on it to bring back some reflex?
Or what do you guys think ?
Thanks for the help !!!
Maybe after hunting season I'll just have to give it away and do another one. Good a reason as any. Just used to doing better than this!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Think I messed up
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:07:36 am »
Two weeks should be plenty especially if stored in AC.  Did you shoot in your bow before backing? I like to put at least 100 shots through a new bow before adding any finishing touches, like skinning and adding a finish.
  I skinned an osage bow a few years ago and after a few days I strung and shot it. It was real weak(dropped from 55# to 45#). After another week of Drying it was back up to weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:48:58 am »
I shoot it a fair amount I thought. But did not really count the number of times as some time was gone by and I am forgetfull so not real shure !!it just acts wet , like if I string it and then unstring it ,It takes awhile to relax .should snap right back if not even shot.
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:58:38 am »
Any wood bow will take set. Even if you add 3" of reflex and it ends up, after shooting in with 1" of reflex it has taken on 2" of set. A little set is very acceptable as long as you can shoot the bow accurately.
  If it feels more "mushy" since you added the the skin then it still have a moisture problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »
Now that we are on the same page .
Any sugestions?
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:32:58 pm »
You will just have to wait for it to dry. If you have a hotbox you could store it in there at a low temp(around 100deg) for a week or so.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »
  Buck, if addittional drying doesn't help I don't believe I would flip the tips unless you just want a smoother draw, if the bow is over strained a bit the flip tips will just exacberate the problem and it will take nore set. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:56:11 pm »
I agree with what Badger said!    There are other ways to increase speed in a bow. One is to be sure you have reduced the tip mass as much as you can. Thick and/or wide tips add excess weight which slows the limb recovery and adds hand shock.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:20 pm »
 What kind of glue did you use and did you squeeze all the air out? I've had that problem before when using TB and put it on too thick. The glue acts like a seal and some of it doesn't set up since it is sealed off from the air. I have had TB with sinew to take almost a year to cure when it was put on too fast and thick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »
Guess i will just have to scrape off the finish so it will dry out then call it good enough, oh well
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !