Author Topic: Teak.  (Read 2596 times)

Bigbo1234

Teak.
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »
i am new to this forum. My Name is Bowen, from northern michigan. i was wondering about making a board bow from teak. i have an awful lot of teak from a water tower that was recently taken down, the tower was built during the civil war and once planed, the wood is perfect, all strait and clear 14 foot x 7 3/4 inches x 2 3/4 inches. is teak good for bows or not so. i have 120 acres of hardwoods including Ash, Maple, Ironwood, beach, birch, and poplar. any suggestions are much appreciated.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Teak.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:03:21 pm »
Teak is probably not the best choice, but ash, maple and ironwood are all good choices.  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »
If it were Mine...and I wish it were....I would run it through a Surface Planer...take off all of the weathered Wood...and sell this Lot...Teak is worth a lot more the Woodworkers...or keep it and build one Awesome Deck that will last forever....Better for Furniture and stuff than it is for building a bow....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »
Yeah - that sounds like some valuable wood.  You are in a great area for bow wood and have a ton of options.  I'd let the teak become something that will continue to endure.  JMO.
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »
Yeah, very good advice above. I'd try putting that teak on e-bay or something and see what you could get for it. As for a bow, I'd go after some of that ironwood.

CP

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:53:00 pm »
Are you certain its teak ? I do not think they would haul it in for a water tower! More likely its Cypress .
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 04:40:59 pm »
Seen a few Water Towers made from it before...it lasts forever...UV rays dont hurt it Weather dont faze it...but then they make a lot from Cyprus and Redwood also...chould not be hard to tell...neither looks feels ...or smells like Teak does
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:01 am »
Teak will take the edge of your tools in a heartbeat. Should be good in compression.

Bigbo1234

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 09:11:17 am »
thank you for all the replies. yeah im sure it's teak, the tower had a cyprus bottum and teak walls.

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:34 am »
You could make yourself a nice dining table, counter tops, maybe even some garden furniture outta that teak!  Nice haul!

And 120 acres of all those other woods???   Feel like hosting a great big "bow-in" sometime...?  Hehehe

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 12:39:01 pm »
Why not try a bow with the teak? It sounds like you have enough for an experiment. I say give it a go. You would only be out some time.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 01:17:14 pm »
Teak is worth some money like El D said I was a sawyer and got to saw one log of that up...Very dense and makes for some great high end furniture.  Look for any of the mentioned hard wood...stay away from the poplar unless arrows... U should have some hickory and maybe elm.. I love Maple it works for me but can give some people headaches.  Good luck and take some pictures ...cut ur staves in late fall /winter...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »
Why not try a bow with the teak? It sounds like you have enough for an experiment. I say give it a go. You would only be out some time.

not to mention a very expensive piece of wood

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd