Author Topic: this is so cool!!!!  (Read 2321 times)

Offline recurve shooter

this is so cool!!!!
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »
got in my bullet molding stuff today. made up fifteen pounds of purified ingots of nice soft lead. waitin on my dad to get home and we gunna try to make up some roundballs. haveing a ball, glad i bought this stuff.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline jeff halfrack

Re: this is so cool!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
  HEY  R S  what  did you  get???  tell us  the  size ect,  I'd  like to  hear  more  thanks  JEFFW

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:18:27 am »
no prollem. Lee molds for .575 and .44, for my .58 cabellas hawken and my .44 revolvers. both are double cavity molds which are nice. lee ingot molds and a 20 pound lee electric bottom pour furnace, which is really nice. i made up some rbs tonight. the .44s came out nice, but the .58s im haveing problems with . they aint comeing out perfectly round, they kinda have wrinkles in them. not really sure whats up with that. i still have some stuff to learn i guess, but i have plenty of time for that. actually have some really nice lead from the scrap yard, it was in a big rolled up sheet, and its softer than the hornady rbs i have. having a blast with this stuff so far, cant wait to try it again. :D oh also got a little cast iron pot and the little dipper so i can make them over a campfire to.
lets just shoot it

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:30 am »
Open a window get some cross ventilation in. Lead fumes are not good.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »
yeah i know that much lol. i work outside or in the shop with the big car door open and a two big circulation fans running. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:42 pm »
Your wrinkly balls are something to be concerned about.  Have you seen a doctor?

Seriously, no big deal.  It just means that the lead is cooling as it is poured into the mold.  Get your mold hotter by "running balls" until they come out shiny and smooth.  Let the wrinkly ones cool off to the side and drop them back into the mold. 

Sometimes I hang onto the wrinkly ones and use those for close range plinking at the range. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »
lol. cast about seventy of each .44 and .58 yesterday. got some pretty nice ones. off to try to find a scale today lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it