Author Topic: English Warbow Forum is Down!!!  (Read 29503 times)

Lloyd

Re: English Warbow Forum is Down!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 10:32:08 pm »
Hey Steve! Glad to see you
Lloyd

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 10:36:37 pm »
Simon sorry to hear about the stave. Were you working to build a bow out of it or was it still air drying and started fretting? How were you going about tillering it since that can cause some problems?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

SimonUK

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 06:13:49 am »
Simon sorry to hear about the stave. Were you working to build a bow out of it or was it still air drying and started fretting? How were you going about tillering it since that can cause some problems?

I hadn't started tillering yet, just thinning the sapwood. I'd been a bit hasty with the wood - it was in the log for 6 months, then a stave for about 4, then bow sized for 2 months. I'd also brought it in to the warm house to work on it. I'm hoping it will still be ok as the major problem is a split in the sapwood at the nock area ...if I glue it well, maybe the string will sort of hold it together?

I have another bit which is two years old now and definitely dry. Possibly a bit brittle though. Do you work with yew?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 03:31:46 pm »
I've worked with yew a couple times but a buddy of mine works with it exclusivly. Seams he mentioned if it is not dried out in a stable atmosphere for something like 2 years it can cause some problems. I've mostly worked with white woods though and tend to enjoy them. May not be as authentic as Yew but its a bit easier for me to get ahold of and in my budget range too. Its still the primo wood though.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Lin

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 06:19:49 pm »
Hi Steve nice to see you on here...BTW any news on the Military Arrow results at Arley...

All the best Lin...

SimonUK

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 06:32:38 pm »
DT - the atmosphere in Edinburgh is far from stable. It can be hot and sunny one minute then cold and rainy the next. Maybe this is why the Scots couldn't compete with the English archers :D Still, if Outcaste can produce a good bow out of Welsh yew, there's hope yet.

Offline Belabear

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 06:46:46 pm »
hi steve,

glad to read from you!

it´s a shame the forum is down... but hope is eternal.. ;o)

still waiting for an answer concerning the fraternity  ;D

hope to see ya around!

bealbear

jb.68

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:55 pm »
Hi Guys
This is steve from the warbow site, how are you all doing, i have just run my first Warbow making course and Nick, Glen, jb68(John) and a guy called Zack attended, Nick went away with a laminated warbow of 100@32, Glen made a nice warbow for his missus 70@30, jb made his at 90@32 and Zack60@28 but he is 70+ years old, very successfull two days, and 4 bows made.
Cheers

Steve

Twas a really good day, cheers steve, and I walked away with a bow that I'd made myself (well for the most part) Steve had the staves pre-made for obvious reasons. I think mine actually came out at 105lb@ 32" tho  ;)

Offline heavybow

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 09:27:37 pm »
 Hello jb.68  Glad you are here left a message archers rest to get over here marlon

jb.68

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 09:43:10 pm »
Hi Marlon, Thanks

Lin

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 03:19:18 pm »
Nice to see you on here jb.... ;D