Author Topic: Now it's groundhawgs!  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Now it's groundhawgs!
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »
Well, it's deer season and I seem to be able to connect with everything but deer.  This guys came barreling off the ridge at 5:15 pm.  He stopped at about 15 yards to look around. He shouldn't outta done that.  Put a broadhead in his ear.

Offline nocams

Re: Now it's groundhawgs!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »
Awesome Ranger B ! Mason said, " Man he is good  ! " For the last two hunts when I go to get Mason out of his tree his quiver is empty of skwerl arrows ! I think he wants to kill a skwerl or something like your groundhawg worse than a deer sometimes ! Good shooting bud !

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
Way to go Ranger! "he shouldn't aughta done that" haha - I like the way you worded that ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
That is one fat hawg. My favorite part of bow hunting isn't getting an animal, it is all the unexpected, non–target animals that come to you and you get to watch (or shoot) them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:42:49 am »
Looks like that ol' boy has been stuffing himself with those beechnuts and acorns-that's a good mess of barbecue right there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »
Seems that everything is overpopulating here in VA.  They want us to kill the deer off and the hawgs are considered a nuisance so they want them killed.  I'm trying to do my part.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:37:25 pm »
Seems that everything is overpopulating here in VA.  They want us to kill the deer off and the hawgs are considered a nuisance so they want them killed.  I'm trying to do my part.
I love a civic minded person, just trying to help.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »
 Nice one Jimmy. At least you are making meat. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kolton

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »
Good job Ranger I also live in VA I cant wait till next year then I can hunt with my Longbow for Deer. But this year I can hunt Squrils and Turkeys with my longbow.Good job Hope you can kill a deer this year

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:01 am »
Nice job Jimmy,they eat pretty good also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:54:21 am »
Good job Jimmy! I'm sure the shot at venison is just around the corner for you! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Big A

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:06 pm »
Way to go Jimmy. One of those deer is going to get to close.Best of luck to ya.
Big A

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »
Nice, a broadhead earing. Jimmy, cut some meat off and put it in a sterlized jar and let it get semi-ripe. Stuff is one of the best yote and fox bait. Better to freeze it an save it till winter weather then use it! Makes good kibab's and goes well with pan fried muskrat. Where's the long legged varmits?

~Smag
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »
Good shooting Jimmy...Ground Hawg ain't as good a Beaver.... O:)......but its better than Porkie....and a whole lot easier to clean..... >:D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:25:48 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »
That little stand of woods has produced this year.  My buddy got a 7-pointer and a red fox he is mounting.  I got 2 squirrels and a groundhog.  I've seen a spike and a dozen or so does but no shot there. 

This morning I got in the woods after a heavy rain.  Got a late start so it was daylight.  I saw 6 does on the road going in so I knew they were moving.  I went up off the side of a ridge that has a good trail in some thick stuff.  I was able to hunt until 1130.  I was getting ready to come down at 1120 when I saw movement.  It was a fawn with momma behind her.  I watched them and felt a gentle wind on the back of my neck.  I broke a good sweat getting in the woods - up hill and 74 degrees.  I knew they would get me soon but would the fawn get too close?  I'd take it at this point.  The fawn stepped behind a holly bush at 20 yards and the doe hung up at 40.  She started sniffing the air, pick her front left foot up, suspended it in air then brought it down but not in a hard pound.  She gave it about a minute then turned 90 degrees and went off the ridge.  The fawn remained there for another minute then bounded off to momma.  No dice!  Perhaps tomorrow.