Author Topic: help with putting field tips on cane shafts  (Read 7939 times)

Offline white wood

help with putting field tips on cane shafts
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:39:57 pm »
hey guys ive been working on a dozen cane arrows and have got my hunting arrows figured out with foreshafts. could you guys explain the process of getting field tips on cane shafts? i thought about putting tips on foreshafts but didnt like that idea. i read the article in the winter 2006 mag but that only has pics with a  brief description. could you guys give me some help? pics would be great if you have any, thanks, -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: help with putting field tips on cane shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »
  Jesse If I mount points on cane or boo without foreshafts I cut the shaft about an inch in front of a node.But you would be better off to even put a wooden plug inside for reinforcement and something more solid to glue to.Just taper the cane and plug down till it fits the point angle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:45:41 pm »
I do what Eddie said with a hardwood dowel or bamboo skewer then taper like any other shaft. I have 2 cane arrows that Art Butner gave me(they are still holding up, Art) and both have 5/16"fore shafts with 5/16 points. Those are the toughest cane arrows I've dealt with. I did split one fore shaft when I hit a rock. It took an hour just getting the old pieces out and a new one back in. Didn't hurt the cane at all.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:25 am »
              Jesse.......If you are gonna shoot foreshafts with broadheads you need to mount field pernts on foreshafts. Glue them in and they wont come out in field butts. If not,good advice above......bob

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:47:18 am »
The wooden plug way works or you can try to get parallel points! With this points you haven't to taper the shaft.

Offline Mickey

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:14:19 am »
Jessee, in the article I mounted a standard screw in type field point INSIDE the cane. First the cane was drilled and plugged with a hardwood plug 1 1/2 inches long. Then the plug was drilled with a 5/32" bit taped off about 1" deep for the threaded portion of the screw in field tip. Then the plug was drilled with a 13/64" drill bit that was taped off at 1/2" for the shoulder of the field tip.The tips were then mounted with ferrel-tite glue although you could use epoxy just as well.

Like others have said you could mount field tips on a foreshaft and iinsert the foreshafts into the cane, or plug the ends and taper the outside of the cane as you would any other wooden shaft and use a 5 degree taper head

Offline white wood

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:50:43 am »
thanks guys! this makes alot more sense to me now. thanks for the extra info mickey i understand the pics in the article much better now. -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine