Author Topic: Shaving Horse Designs  (Read 29162 times)

Offline tarsus

Shaving Horse Designs
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:46:11 pm »
Does anyone have a picture or designs of a shaving horse or similar versatile bench?  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Shaving Horse Designs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:55:43 pm »
...Not convential. Designed it years ago. What I like is seat slides back and forth so does rear stave or log support. Rear support is important imo for tillering, shaving and scraping. Leaves as much of 3 ft of split for bark removal or working on stave and whole thing breaks down,weighs 32 lbs. total and can be made from dimensional lumber...bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tarsus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:57:55 pm »
Still waiting on my Bowyers Bible in the mail!!!  Do you have any pics of it while working a stick?  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:58:48 pm »
Hey Bob, That is way cool! 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tarsus

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:00:33 am »
Guss I did not see the third pic...Looks great!!! 

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:02:17 am »
           Sorry David I dont. I know a pic is worth a 1000 words. See vice up front, clamp stave or split in it and rear rests on sliding support level . SIt on seat and work on stave. Reverse when you want to work on other limb. Clear as mud isnt it ? Best I can do for tonight, if I get some time in am I'll post a pic with stave on it......bob

Offline tarsus

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:04:54 am »
Thanks!!  Thats kinda what I figured after I saw the third pic.  I was thinking of building a stationary model, but I think that I would like the versatility of this one.  Is it staked to the ground?  David

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 12:09:07 am »
 David...see now ?Holes are in it to lighten it. Eddie (mullet) says it looks like a giant erector set. :D Nope dosen't need staking in ground is very stable, I can use it and it dosent rock and I weigh 240 lbs...............bob

Offline tarsus

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:27:03 am »
Cool, I wont be pushin it tooooo much more than that if I make a replica.  Thanks  David 

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 12:29:34 am »
......Cool david, naw try one. If you want any info just ask.....bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:32:23 am »
Hey Bob, I want more info.  ;D Is that a regular block clamp on the front.  How about a close up of where the clamp and the support meets the horse. Thanks Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:08:33 am »
 ...................... Justin, its not a block clamp ,its a vise made outta wood..bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:35:50 am »
Pretty slick bob, do you use carriage bolts to put it together or pegs?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 10:50:43 am »
I've got an official hillbilly style (traditional Southern Appalachian type) shaving horse that I hewed out of an oak log. Ain't too pretty, but does what I need it to. I can remember when almost all the people of my grandpa's generation had one of these sitting around somewhere-the drawknife and shaving horse were used to make just about everything wooden that they used. You can find plans for one of these in Roy Underhill's book The Woodwright's Shop, which most libraries have.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 11:08:28 am »
I recently made this one from oak, ash and birch. Great tool!