Author Topic: Shaving Horse Designs  (Read 29191 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Shaving Horse Designs
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:28:13 am »
Thanks Bob, I thought it looked like a custom vice. Kind of like one of those wood block clamps but better.
Hillbilly, that is cool.  That is the kind of horse a guy should have for making character bows.  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 09:50:35 pm »
That is really nice Bob.  Clever design.  You should sell plans.

J. D. Duff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 09:44:52 am »
What JD said bob.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 11:07:55 am »
Here is a link to a really beautiful horse I've wanted to build for a while, when I get time, of course :)

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline tarsus

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 01:49:58 pm »
These are all great looking horse designs. I think I like the "take-down" version because of the versatility.  Bob, when do the prints go on sale?  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 05:07:34 pm »
This is my shaving horse. I think the design came from PA years ago. I used saw horse leg bracket so I can break it down somewhat to transport. The horse is made with dimensional pine lumber and the knucklehead is oak. It has a central post with blocks added to each side. This allows me to work from one side or the other. The pivot for the knuckle head is a large bolt and the jaw opening is adjustable if needed for larger staves. I also added a screen door spring to keep the jaws open until I step on the peddle.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 05:15:30 pm »
Pat, you are such a redneck.  Nice bungee cord.  Actually Pat I do like your get up. It don't look as portable as Bobs, but I just about built one like it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 09:15:21 pm »
Pat why is the dog hiding in the cubbyhole? I could understand a kitty hiding from ya  ;D

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 09:07:51 am »
Looks like Pat's pup is getting ready to attack that "Vachose Snake "  on the floor there  :). I'm liking these benches - i really have to build one for myself, as i have no place for a vice on a work bench set up. One of those "horses" I could store in my "car port", if I used salt treated wood as suggested in one magazine
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:01 pm »
Hey, if you put on a good sealant Thompsons water or a deck sealer even lumber from Lowes will last  out in the  elements. At least my old horse has.
laugh. its good for ya

Minuteman

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:42 pm »
Heres one of two or three I'm building to haul down to the Classic in Tennesee. One I'll keep and I'll sell or trade the others. Couldn't find the magazine I got the original plans from this morning at 8AM. Started into it just by memory and it turned out ok.I was doen by 11AM. A little smaller than the original ones I built for Mojam last year but it functions quite well. What would you pay for somethig like this/ Its all reclaimed deck framing, by the way, old deck was removed and I got the demo-ed material . 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 11:21:18 pm »
I better try one of those suckers out at the Classic for you. You NEED to know how they work.  I think you need to add leather or something to the clamp head and deck to stop the bow from sliding. Look at Pats. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 02:05:49 am »
I did pad the jaws with leather and it does help the grip. The rectangular pieces on the draw horse are crepe rubber I use for spacers for different thickness of the stock or stave.
   Chris, Our designs look similar. You must of got that from an old PA magazine.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 07:38:17 am »
Hey,that better than mine, now Ill hafta decide to build or buy!
laugh. its good for ya

Minuteman

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 08:48:43 am »
Actually Pat, I got it from a fairly new magazine. Its initials are"B"owyer's "J"ournal. ;) I also forgot the horizontal bar that extends the foot pedal along so its more under the seat part. Retro fitted the one in the pic yesterday. Got to put the head on the second one today and see how far I get with the third.
 Yeah, I was debating on what to put on the head. I have leather and also some chipped rubber mat thats 1/8" thick.I thought maybe alittle of the rubber under the leather would work pretty well.
 Justin' yer welcome to put one through its paces if you need someplace to hold a bow while yer workin' on it. :)
 I got three hours roughly  in each one of em so I'm thinkin 75$. Or a cool trade!
 Auggie  I'll see if I can find the magazine it was in and you can buy that back issue and have the plans for the larger original if ya want.