Author Topic: Steve Milbocker's Deer  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Steve Milbocker's Deer
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
I'm posting this for Steve because he has a hard time posting pictures. 

In Steve's own words from the e-mail he sent me....

Hi Marc, got a butter ball of a spike last night with the black locust you made me. He's not very big but he'll eat just fine. That's the first I ever took with a self bow.  I used a carbon arrow so now I guess it's time to make some cane arrows, maybe even stone heads :)

Here are some pictures that he sent me.  I'll let him fill in the blanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Steve Milbocker's Deer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »
I made Steve that BL bow last Summer after he tried a sinew backed recurve I had made Steve Quinton of Ibex bows many years ago.  He was impressed enough to get me to make him this bow that he used to take this Deer

P.S. Great shot Steve and congrats
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »
Thanks for posting this for me Marc,but more importantly thanks for building me such a great shooting bow. It is the one with the performance that I will strive for in the bows I'm starting to build. I have been shooting recurves since the mid 70s but the simple self bow has always beckoned me. Well as Marc stated I finally made the step this summer. I can't ever see myself returning to glass laminated bows again. I took this little buck a couple of nights ago. The bow is approx. 48#@28. The shot was 15 yrds. The arrow was a Beman ICS 500 tipped with a 115 gr.  Grizzly head that weighs 145 gr with the insert. The shot took both lungs and exited the far shoulder. He went 65 paces. I've shot these Grizzly heads on and off over the years and have had very good luck with them. I think other than trying stone or maybe steel trade points I'll stick with them. I know what you guys are thinking about the carbon arrows and I feel the same way. I'll be working on my cane/ wood arrow building this winter ;) How do you like my fancy camo? it's been kind of warm here lately. I'm not much of a camo wearer anyway ;D
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »
Good job, nice shot.  I was hoping you'd have a picture of the back of the bow too.  I am looking to build some primitive arrows as well.

Congratulations,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »
Thanks George. Actually that is the back.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:56:08 pm by Steve Milbocker »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:21:42 pm »
 :-[ :-[Oops, it sure is.  Looks like my eyes are failing too... :)

George
St Paul, TX