Author Topic: Start with a bow-building class (plus--two great bows)...  (Read 17812 times)

duffontap

Start with a bow-building class (plus--two great bows)...
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:19:07 pm »
Hello Everyone.

I just finished a class with a couple college-aged guys who have been asking me to teach them how to build a bow for a while now.  Every time I show anyone part of the bow-building process I'm reminded of how long it took me to produce my first good bow.  After breaking and hacking enough board staves to build a barn I scheduled a class with John Strunk and changed everything. 

With an experienced bowyer looking over your shoulder, you are kept from the dozens of little mistakes that can ruin a bow in short order.  Parker, Tyler and I had a great time in the shop and they love their new bows.  They both built finely-tillered Maple character bows (60# and 70#!) on their first attempts.  One is going caribou hunting in Alaska and the other is going wild boar hunting in California. 

If you're new at this, I'd seriously recommend taking a class where you can try out some good tools, get tillering instruction, look at different staves and billets, ask questions, swap hunting stories, and leave at the end of a couple days with a finely-crafted self bow.  It's a big head start.  I wouldn't be here without John's class.  It felt good to pass the help on.

J. D. Duff

I even got to pry these bows out of their hands long enough to shoot a few arrows--nice!  (Me in the black shirt shooting a 70# 'first bow').

Far East Archer

Re: Start with a bow-building class (plus--two great bows)...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:56:07 pm »
Very cool J.D.! Nice of you to show these lads the ropes to bow building. looks like they had alot of fun and you too. They both have them tillered out nicely and that quite a weight for maple. (70#)

-Alex

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 12:33:19 am »
Good for you Josh, and Parker and Tyler too. I agree with you about taking a class. I spent 2 days with Vinson Minor a few years ago and it tough me more than just how to build a BBO. Seeing someone that was in command of the wood opened my eyes for sure. It built confidence in my ability just watching Vinson working a stave. After reading every book out there ??? about wood bow building and years of wasting lots of good bow wood, something snapped! ;D  Oh! if I only had some of that wasted wood back again! :'(         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 01:00:38 am »
The guy in the 2nd pic looks like he's going to shoot the arrow through the window! ;D :D
 Great job, keep passing it on.
      Sean
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:52:29 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:11:02 am »
Dang, maybe I better sign up for JD's next bow class.  I know I should take one, but breaking wood is so fun.  :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:47:14 am »
Cool! Also neat work shop.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:59:58 am »
Looks like you got some nice bows out, I have a couple of groups I help out usually 4 or 5 guys sometimes 2. I try to wean them as quickly as possible, amazing how some guys just have such a natural nack for it once they are shown a few basic steps. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 09:30:29 am »
Well done, JD. You helped these young men produce some great bows.  Congratulations to them for being good learners. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:39:20 am »
Nice bows guys, I would love to take a class from someone but living where I do there is no one around
to do so with. I can't afford to travel somewhere else either so I just go it alone and depend on this forum for advice.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:03:45 am »
Congradulations on becoming a teacher, JD. It is a shame you live 3,000 miles away. Those are both handsome weapons.

Oh, if you could, I'd love to see you give us some shots and progress on the Viking bow if you can.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:30:10 am »
JD, when you said they are made of maple. Is that vine maple or another species?

Those are terriric bows for a first try (or any try for that matter). You are obviously a first rate teacher.
Gordon

Dustybaer

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 11:38:20 am »
jd, those bows came out nice.  you're a talented teacher.

when I attended such a class, i walked away with a mediocre bow.  not the teachers fault, but there were too many students in the class for adequate time per student.  but what the class did accomplish, was to take my fear of screwing up beyond recovery.  i learned that if i go slowly and concentrate on what i'm doing i can turn out a bow that shoots.  maybe not the fastest and maybe no perfect tiller, but that, i think comes with experience.  the rest is devouring every written word i could find about bowyery, be it in books or on the web and talking to generous people who don't mind sharing their experience on forums like this.  so, what i'm trying to say is: do the class, loose the fear, learn the basics and then start cranking them out, because every bow you make will be better than the previous one.

Offline tarsus

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 02:07:04 pm »
Does anyone know of any classes or are there any experienced bowyers in the Ky area?  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

jamie

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 02:54:13 pm »
very cool

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 03:47:31 pm »
Tarsus, Are you coming to the Classic. Gary Davis will be there and he can teach you lots about bow building. As a matter of fact, Lots of us can and will.  ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC