Author Topic: Start with a bow-building class (plus--two great bows)...  (Read 17810 times)

Offline venisonburger

Re: Start with a bow-building class (plus--two great bows)...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:42 pm »
That's neat stuff JD, they both look like they came out with well tillered bows.
VB

Offline tarsus

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 07:06:36 pm »
Pat, I wish I could. :(  But it is the weekend of the Ky Derby, and we are entertaining guests. I want to make the next one close to Ky for sure!!  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 07:18:36 pm »
The Kentucky Classic, in Nancy Co. is a good one and Gary will probably be there too. Its sometime soon if it hasn't already happened.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 08:06:41 pm »
Pat, you can teach me how to build bows while I am down. I promise to behave.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:46 pm »
I too would like to take a class, hope I can learn from you guys here on PA, just wish I could soak up the knowledge like good beer.(and  as easily) Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 09:09:14 pm »
Justin ya better bring an apple fer the teacher or ya will be sitting in the corner. ;D

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 11:42:48 pm »
Thanks for all the kind comments guys.  Parker and Tyler love their bows and they're getting some great shots off with them.  I really wish that I had taken a class first thing to help me understand the tillering process better.  Plus, it's a huge benefit to see how a good shop it set up, try different kinds of tools and vises, etc.  Incidentally, I set this bench up with the intention of teaching some classes since people from the school keep asking me to teach them.  These guys got to break it in.

Gordon, I think it's Big Leaf Maple.  Both bows are made from a 4" diameter branch cut down the center.  They have a nice snake to them too.  Very nice. 

Dane,  I'm working on that bow and I will post pics soon.

J. D. Duff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 12:08:41 pm »
Justin, If you promise to behave, I won't teach you anything! ;) And don't listen to Dana. You better bring more than apples. ::)
   I thing the thing that tought me the most from taking a class is watching a bowyer work and having someone close to not only to tell you but show you what you don't understand. To watch someone that knows what they are doing with regard to bow building is an eye opener. Seeing is believing.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 01:43:29 pm »
Good use of some quality time, J. D.  Take a few more pics of each when done, handle, tips, braced, unbraced, etc and post them with each bowyer's name for May Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday