Author Topic: Something for you primitive guys to ponder on  (Read 8547 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Something for you primitive guys to ponder on
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:52:57 am »
 I live in Southern Ky and pine trees are non existent around here. If you see any, someone planted them.
 Without pine trees what did native man use as pitch for mounting points and such?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Something for you primitive guys to ponder on
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:55:44 am »
Hi Sawfiler many people dont know that BIRCH PITCH is another form of adhesive used it is simple to make and can be made anywhere at anytime.  It turns black and u can make it up ahead of time.  Use it the same as pine pitch.  Hey how u been my friend gimme a shout!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:46 am »
shannon i believe most any tree sap can be made into pitch. i could be wrong though,it happens on occaison  ;D )
birch pitch is good stuff
palio folks used it to seal canoes etc.

AA76,we were typing at the same time  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:06:48 am »
LOL Sailor ur right about some trees being used for pitch but one other thing to remember when paleo groups traveled and traded amongst themselves.  They would travel hundreds of miles to get such things as flint...perhaps amongst their travels the aquired there pine pitch along their way. 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:29:11 am »
Doing pretty good Russ :)
 Ain't no Birch trees around here either...just eastern hardwoods.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:39 am »
What about maple, I hear they make a sticky sap. It sure works for sticking the fork to my hand.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:34 am »
Shannan:
You got any Eastern Red Cedar in them parts?
The pitch out of them will make good glue.  Very similar to pine pitch.
It is harder to collect in any quantity.  But if you got nothing else....

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:56:36 am »
Oh yea, we got maple and LOTS of ERC. The sap from it is very sticky but there's never much of it. I just figured since they didn't "leak" as much as pine that it wouldn't be enough.

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:03:51 am »
For those of us fortunate.....if that's how you want to look at the stupid things....enough to hae pine trees...can ya take a machete or something and give them a good whack and come back a few days later and collect?....assuming spring or fall would be the better times for this. I know Ive seen sap before I ever wanted any, on injured pines, didn't know if that was a good way to injure them or not.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:08 am »
Yep, or just watch going through town for trees that have been pruned.  The ones that are mowed around a good too, innevitably somebody's going to hit one with the mowing deck.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:14 am »
It usually takes a couple of months to get a good quantity of sap. If you trim a branch off you can come back and get the sap later.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:42:50 am »
Shannon sounds like u live in a Tundra or a maybe a swamp...or a desert..lol Whos to say thousand years agao there werent any confierous trees in KY maybe they used hide glue...curious to think about u making ur PINETREE points which come from there but yet there are none! ??? ??? ??? Is this a subliminal message sent from the ancient ones!

Russ

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:49 pm »

Shannon, do you have any spruce?  Try that. ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:47 am »
Shannon, go to the "Trading Post" and ask for pitch. I'd bet you could trade some improved debitage for some pitch.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:11 am »
Shannon, go to the "Trading Post" and ask for pitch. I'd bet you could trade some improved debitage for some pitch.  ;D
Oh I don't need any Pat...I just wanna know ???